Author Topic: No Sudden Move (HBO, 2021)  (Read 9854 times)

Offline toastbot

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
No Sudden Move (HBO, 2021)
« on: July 13, 2021, 07:40:43 PM »
The indoor scenery looked to be period-correct. The wood-paneling of the interior shots was my favorite character in the film, and yet would rival the rest of the cast for “Most Wooden.”

The film seemed to have a lot going for it. Soderbergh directing, decent cast, etc., but then just...blah.

The beginning looks promising, but then it just kinda falls apart, we had to fight to maintain interest throughout the rest. And it’s all shot using a fisheye lens effect for “art” reasons I guess. The actors seem to be calling it in for the most part, so the whole thing comes off like a student film, right down to the “who’s the reeeeal bad guy” tropes.

I know we’re kinda hurting for stuff to watch these days, but even so, there are better ways to spend 2 hours.
Pins: The Simpsons Pinball Party, Who Dunnit?
Vids: Street Fighter Zero 3: Upper, Golden Tee 2018, Tempest, Ms Pac-Man

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: No Sudden Move (HBO, 2021)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 10:39:48 PM »
Good to know. It looked promising, but I'm happy to skip it if it's not worth the time.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 10:54:19 PM »
I didn't think it was terrible.
It weaved a weird line that is hard to describe but I don't think it should totally be written off.

Offline toastbot

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
I didn't think it was terrible.
It weaved a weird line that is hard to describe but I don't think it should totally be written off.

You say "weaved a weird line" I say "pick a lane already!"  ;)

It was like they started with a kernel of a good story, but then kept adding stuff to it to make the audience feel obligated to like it. "Let's show how racist the 50's were, then add something about big business, then let's shoot it through some artsy-fartsy lens, sprinkle a little "girl-power" in there, yeah, let's see them try and hate it NOW!"

Yeah "terrible" would be a stretch, but I definitely over-hyped it in my own head when I first heard who was involved. oh well. They can't all be Love, Death & Robots (Season 1)

Pins: The Simpsons Pinball Party, Who Dunnit?
Vids: Street Fighter Zero 3: Upper, Golden Tee 2018, Tempest, Ms Pac-Man

Offline WannaTheater

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 02:32:25 PM »
Was it just me, or was something odd in the way it was filmed? 
It looked like they use a fisheye lens throughout the entire file-  Everything outside the center of the frame (left and right) seemed distorted. 

Pins: Iron Maiden, The Addams Family, Simpsons Pinball Party, Fish Tales, Goldeneye, Terminator 2, No Fear
Arcade: Galaga (MAME), Ice Cold Beer, Defender (JROK-multi), Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr