Author Topic: REVIEW: Venom let there be.. whatever  (Read 229 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
REVIEW: Venom let there be.. whatever
« on: October 06, 2021, 11:43:37 AM »
I avoided the original Venom because it looked like it was going to be boring and dumb but not wanting to be completely lost on the assuredly deep and well thought out plot of Venom 2 I gave the original a spin this weekend. Let me tell you it's actually. kinda boring and not just dumb but stupid.

So to help define the nature of insanity here we are at Venom 2.

Out of the gate it fairs slightly better because we don't have to muddle through a Venom origin story this time.. instead we get a Carnage origin story which is also tedious but slightly less so. Woody Harelson tries to do something with the character but there's not a lot for him to do.. like the the original this film's script feels like an 8th grade creative writing class project from a school for the challenged.

There's an attempt at a plot here and there but like the original it's mostly just contrivances that get characters to certain places so things can happen. If you like Deus Ex Machina stories man this has got you covered.

The central focus remains on the odd couple-esque relationship between Eddie Brock and Venom. This is the best part of the film and the only thing that really comes close to working. There are a few amusing sequences scattered throughout but it's a real slog when they aren't together. Otherwise this is typical dumb CGI action movie territory.. there's no surprises and everything plays out exactly the way you'd expect.. once again 14-year old level stuff. The action / fight scenes are OK but even that tends to just turn into two CGI blobs rubbing together which gets old after a bit. I got Transformers flashbacks a few times.

Bottom line -- it's slightly better than the original but it's still not great. If you are really jonesing for a superhero movie and you have already seen the surprisingly solid Shang Chi then maaabye you'll be able to get through this.. but if you are on the fence or didn't like the first one you can easily skip this installment or wait for a rainy day to watch it on HBO.

Offline k7

Re: REVIEW: Venom let there be.. whatever
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »
the preview teasers for this film look like garbage. it's the one time there is truth in advertising.

reviews are on point. thank you.  :)
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »
In the comics, Venom looks like a monster version of Spider-Man because Peter Parker was the first human it bonded with as a symbiote.

Venom: the movie (the first one) - Venom still looks like a monster version of Spider-Man, yet Spider-Man does not appear in this origin story at all.

That pretty much shows the level of care they put into these.

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »

every movie post 2001. :)
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 09:12:06 AM »
In the comics, Venom looks like a monster version of Spider-Man because Peter Parker was the first human it bonded with as a symbiote.

Venom: the movie (the first one) - Venom still looks like a monster version of Spider-Man, yet Spider-Man does not appear in this origin story at all.

You've already put more thought into this than any of the myriad of 'script writers' on these films.

Offline RussG

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
Shang Chi to me was easily a top 5-7 Marvel movie.

I had a lot of fun watching it and it was a welcome delight to marvel fans.
I'll probably skip this Venom until later even though I like Hardy and Woody Harrelson a lot.

Offline Miracleman

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 11:54:49 PM »
Venom 1 was was of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life.

V2 didn't look much better, but was directed by Andy (mo-cap Gollum) Serkis, who directed the Warner Bros/Netflix MOWGLI 'jungle book' movie that was a bazillion times better than Disney's live action version. He also directed a GREAT drama movie with Andrew Garfield called BREATHE (2017).
Sadly, every intelligent review of V2 matches Jack's, so I'll avoid it as long as possible. The problem is likely Tom Hardy, as it's said he had a lot of on-set input on V1, and got a full 'story by' credit for V2. He needs to just keep playing Mad Max and speak as little as possible.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:56:53 PM by Miracleman »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »
Shang Chi to me was easily a top 5-7 Marvel movie.

I had a lot of fun watching it and it was a welcome delight to marvel fans.
I'll probably skip this Venom until later even though I like Hardy and Woody Harrelson a lot.

Yeah it was a pleasant surprise, i was certain it was going to be terrible from the trailers but it was a lot of fun.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
Venom 1 was was of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life.

V2 didn't look much better, but was directed by Andy (mo-cap Gollum) Serkis, who directed the Warner Bros/Netflix MOWGLI 'jungle book' movie that was a bazillion times better than Disney's live action version. He also directed a GREAT drama movie with Andrew Garfield called BREATHE (2017).
Sadly, every intelligent review of V2 matches Jack's, so I'll avoid it as long as possible. The problem is likely Tom Hardy, as it's said he had a lot of on-set input on V1, and got a full 'story by' credit for V2. He needs to just keep playing Mad Max and speak as little as possible.

Yeah it's a weird situation, you can see Hardy is trying but the story line is just so damned stupid and bland that it doesn't matter.

Like Hardy plays brock as this sort of timid bumbling loser character who can barely string sentences together. He's supposed to be a guerilla in-your-face style investigative reporter. How do these two things both make sense?

Whatever.. yeah this is skippable for sure.

Offline PinFever

• Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
only the Odd couple type parody was enjoyable .
 Cgi Venom  for the good actor in this one