Author Topic: Late 70s Gottlieb Wedgehead fuse question  (Read 227 times)

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Late 70s Gottlieb Wedgehead fuse question
« on: October 11, 2021, 10:06:22 PM »
so my machine says 25amp...um. ok...so in real life, what's the proper fuse usage here, for playfield lights. the fuse i pulled out is unreadable. the fuse worked, but it broke when i took it out for inspection.

i also pulled the under-the-playfield fuse. that one popped. i cannot tell what size it is supposed to be (it "looks" like a 5 amp slow blow). it runs the coils on the playfield.

thanks in advance. i have the schematics...the don't say a word about proper fuses to be used in the machine. :P
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline k7

Re: Late 70s Gottlieb Wedgehead fuse question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
nobody?

the machine said 12 amp for the playfield lights, so i stuck a 10 amp fast blow in there. works fine.

the other one is a pure guess. i put in a 5 amp slow blow to run all the coils, and it's holding up.

i cleaned the end of stroke switch on the left flipper. i was holding a ball with that, when the fuse popped.

if anyone knows the correct value, pipe up. it's the nicest Neptune on planet earth. :)

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:53:34 PM »
They are all a little different and without the schematic there is no telling.  Ive had some 7.5amp, 10amp, and even 15amp in a Bally EM.  The best bet is to find someone who has one or has a schematic. 

Offline Weeze

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
 Yeah, my memory tells me 8 and 15 amp were winners, Im surprised they arent marked, The games are old I know but all the fuses originally had tags saying what size fuse when the game was new a million years ago. what game is it? If I have it more then happy to look
Hate to see you have a problem and melt some wires there,
A long time ago I pulled into a florist in my 74 Spitfire with electric overdrive which was cool, shut off the car and the motor was still running! Then 10 secs or so later I had a big POOF!
THe entire wiring harness was melted together and turned to goo! ignition relay hung up.
So i gathered up all the wire I could find and clipped a wire before the goo ball and then found the same coded wire in the other side of the melt. Did each wire like that over a weekend and I was back bombing around with the top down and acting like the punk I was.
()&&* Lucas. stay away from Brit cars, go German,
 Sorry , you reminded me of that so I thought Id share.
Current Pins and Stuff: Walking Dead "kill them walkers, yeah ", Eight Ball Deluxe, Hurdy Gurdy, Batter Up,, Mini Pool, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, the totally awesome and historic,"CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Games come thru here all the time!
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, slots, firearms and assorted other stuff.
 WTB: A decent KINGS & QUEENS with a GOOD playfield Also have a AK-47 I would consider trading.

Offline k7

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »
They are all a little different and without the schematic there is no telling.  Ive had some 7.5amp, 10amp, and even 15amp in a Bally EM.  The best bet is to find someone who has one or has a schematic.

i have the schematic. it doesn't mention fuse values.  :P

Offline k7

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 12:03:20 PM »
Yeah, my memory tells me 8 and 15 amp were winners, Im surprised they arent marked, The games are old I know but all the fuses originally had tags saying what size fuse when the game was new a million years ago. what game is it? If I have it more then happy to look
Hate to see you have a problem and melt some wires there,

i will underfuse, i won't overfuse. :)

the playfield light fuse says nothing of value except 12 amp. so i used a 10 amp fast blow. no issues. the fuse for this was good, but it fell apart when i removed it (glass cracked, still showed continuity).

the coil fuse has no markings (under playfield). 8 amps sounds like a good value, i used a 5 amp slow blow and no issue. but would like to know factory recommendation for this fuse.

it's a Neptune.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 02:10:41 PM »
I dont know why there are no fuse values on ther, all my schematics have them
for instand, this is off my NORTH STAR;
COMING OFF THE TRANSFORMER IMMEDIATELY GOES TO 10A fuse, main one
shutoff switch through bounce switch[tilt fucker] to 5A sloblow
you want me to do the who;e schematic for you?
Hey youll love this Monday night somebody went down my street and took a phillips head screwdriver to every single car. I must have a dozen dents with right through the paint marks. Guy around the corn gots his pride and joy Ram truck with a phillips head that went so deep there is a perfect outline of the tip.
canb you believe this shit? This is the week from hell/
 My good friend was creamated on monday, day agfter, that was fast,
let me knpw id you want more from the schematic.
Current Pins and Stuff: Walking Dead "kill them walkers, yeah ", Eight Ball Deluxe, Hurdy Gurdy, Batter Up,, Mini Pool, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, the totally awesome and historic,"CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, slots, firearms and assorted other stuff.
 WTB: A decent KINGS & QUEENS with a GOOD playfield Also have a AK-47 I would consider trading.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 02:17:31 PM »
or maybe, well I have NO large flipper games so maybe you dont want the older games fuse values
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
OK!!! I'm having a ball here in front of reruns of "E.R."
latest is my hotmail system just went bullshit and I dont why and can't use it.
LIGHTBOARD FUSE=10A
"PLAYBOARD FUSE"=also 10A
be back in a but must attend to bodily function of the "gotta go" kind!
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
Back
as you know Wedgeheads are kinda my thing, never seen a wedgehead schematic that wasnt clearly marked with the fuse values. That a European game maybe?
 two BIG Spots for fuse as you know is off the transformer and coming off the score motor , but of course they put them all over the place to fuck up people like me to the point of kicking walls and throwing tools
motor2G=1A
Motor4G+1A
one other thing, if you dont see the traditional Bridge rectifier then there is a inline resistor hidden in the most insane places. It took me a few days to find one, even Ibis was here helpng me look. they really hide those.
This pretty much does it short of using a microscope on this schematic.
Any thing else my limited abilities can do please ask.
Good luck my friend!
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline k7

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »
my bridge is right next to the playfield fuse holder, so that was easy.

i'm going to have fred check out my schematics tomorrow. i found some fuse values, but they make zero sense with the way it's written.

it looks like a 3amp slow blow. that seems WAY too small to run multiple coils on a novelty setup game (which fires the knocker, kickout holes, slingshots, flippers, and a lot more in 3 seconds). :P

3 amp slow blow for multiple coils, and a 12 amp for GI? :o

Offline Weeze

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
those do not sound right.
actually those were off the schematic of a ICE REVUE, soory about that. However if i had to bet on it pretty much without actually checking the fuse aon all my Gottliebs would have the same fuses, it seems to me they were the same for years up until the flippers went Big!
again good luck there K7.
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline k7

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 05:55:27 PM »
so Fred looked at my schematics and said "man, those are weird numbers and how they laid this schematic out.".

my playfield lights are a 12 amp. in 30 years of working on cars, i've never seen a 12 amp fuse. a 10 amp fast blow goes there for me now.

all of my coils run off a 3 amp slow blow. that seems stupid low to me for all the coils that could fire at once, but i'm not questioning that 1977 tech guy. :-X

thanks, guys.

Offline Weeze

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »
I am in no way trying to say if anyone is correct or whatever but I do want to say after all these years and a shitload of games worked on, especially single play Gottliebs, those values are not right. Is this some sort of really weird conversion like "whitworth" on some British cars? You know American Standard, metric and "whitworth for your jag, old mg , oretc coverted to some Eastern Europe/Russian or Pleabia stuff?
I sure as heck do not know and am totally confused. when you do get to the bottom of this please smarten up this chump!
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.

Offline k7

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 12:01:57 AM »
it's a 100% legit US market Neptune. those values are on the OEM schematics.

the 12 amp is also marked for the playfield GI fuse socket inside the cabinet.

fuses holding up fine.  :)  i could run a 2 amp for the GI and be fine. the incandescents are pretty much gone now.