Author Topic: Flakey Flipper  (Read 7028 times)

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
Flakey Flipper
« on: July 03, 2010, 02:59:24 PM »
Got one flakey flipper.  Swaped the flipper boards and the problem did not follow.  Then swapped the interupter and again, the problem did not follow.  I assume the connector wires may be loose and I have inspected it.  But before I swap out a new connector, I was wondering if there is anything I may be overlooking on this simple issue.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Game Collector
Re: Flakey Flipper
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »
First thing I'd do is tell Klassic to get the hell out of your game!

:)

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:53:35 PM »
The game and what "flakey" means may help. ;)
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
ST:TNG....flipper studders or doesnt react at all.  Weak.  All mechanics are fine.

0geist0

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm not an expert but to me it sounds like a coil

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
Not sure it's a coil.

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »
Which of the flippers, Leon?  At least for now, check for +50vAC at the coil. Also, check the wiring and gap at the EOS switch.
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »
Left flipper.  Wiring looks like all solder is intact.  I will check voltage tomorrow!!  Check back then.

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
I made a mistake re: checking the power at the coil (bridge rectifier, dee dee dee).  You should be checking for +50V dc at the coil.  Red lead on either of the outside lugs, black to ground.

Sometimes you get a cold solder joint / broken wire at the coil where the bare winding come off the coil and to the lug.  In this case, you would need to replace the coil. 

To test the coil itself, turn the game on and leave it in attract mode. Then attach an alligator test lead to ground (metal side rail of game), and momentarily touch the other end of the test lead to the middle lead of the flipper coil. The coil should activate.

Also, check the resistance of the coil with a DMM set to ohms with the game turned off.  One of the two outside solder lugs for the flipper coil has both a thick and thin coil winding attached to it. This is the "common" lead. Put one lead of the DMM on the outside common flipper lug (the one with the thin and thick coil windings attached to it).  Put the other lead of the DMM on the middle lug. A reading of about 4 ohms should be indicated. This is the high powered side of the coil. Put the leads of the DMM on the two outside lugs of the coil. For fliptronics games, a reading of about 125 ohms should be seen.

If approximately these readings are not seen, the flipper coil is bad. Typically the hold side of the coil goes bad more often that the power side.

Also, just verify the EOS switch is operating correctly in the switch test menu.

Report back.
David Paz

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »
OK,

I am getting about 130 DC on both coils(maybe have it on the wrong setting but both flipper coils read the same).

The left coil is reading 133 ohm on one lug and 4 ohm on the other lug.

Also, if I touch the center leg of the left coil, the coil fires rapidly.  If I touch the left lug, the coil draws in very slowley.  The right coil only fires rapidly if I touch the center lug.  Nothing happens if I touch the other outer lugs.

EOS looks good and is gapped nicely; all wires good too.

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
If I touch the left lug, the coil draws in very slowley.  The right coil only fires rapidly if I touch the center lug.  Nothing happens if I touch the other outer lugs.

There goes Leon grounding certain things I didn't tell him to.  LOL

You should be getting about 70Vdc on each of the 3 flipper lugs.  Do you have a spare flipper coil to test in the game?
David Paz

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
I do not think I have a spare.  I will be traveling after tomorrow till Friday.  I can order one though and get back the next weekend.  Just check back then and I will swap it out and give the results.

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
OK, I just hate poking around the Fliptronics board if that's not it.  Safe trip, my friend!
David Paz

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »
Over at neighbors blowing up stuff and drinking lots of the good stuff!!!  I checked my spare parts and I do have a replacement coil.  As soon as I get back I will replace it and post here!  Thanks for the help so far!!!

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
Try the connectors to the various boards, one may have came loose in transit.  All the flippers were working perfectly, including the night before it came back to you for at least 1/2 hour of playing, never had any flipper issues whatsoever while it was here...which makes me think something may have come loose.