Author Topic: Flakey Flipper  (Read 7024 times)

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Flakey Flipper
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
I am getting about 4 volts to the flipper boards.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
yeah, im gonna go out on a limb, and say, thats a tad short of how many you need going to the flipper board
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »
I wonder why I had working right flips, then no working flips at all.  Obviously the drop in voltage explains that, but why the drop in voltage?  I wonder if a diode or transistor is going bad but that would not make sense since I swapped a fliptronics board with the Road Show and it still didn't work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:28:21 PM by ibis »

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
You had working right flips because it was the interrupter causing the problem on the left side.

Your explanations of what you've done need to be a little clearer.  Obviously you have 4 volts at the flipper opto boards but did you try the other Fliptronics in the machine again today after measuring the 4 volts or just from trying it yesterday?
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
Correct.  I swapped the boards yesturday with no change so I agree we both feel it was the interupter.  Then, I knocked off a wire on the right side.  I changed connectors on both sides just to rule anything out.  The connectors are wired correctly but now I got no flippers at all.  I am going to thripple check the wires on the new connectors again just for safetly sake.  Be back in a minute.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
Just rechecked and all the wires appear to be correct.  I wonder if I am not getting good contact from the new connectors?  Still would not explain the low voltage going to them.  I attempted to get a reading in test mode but the flippers are still not being recognized.

0geist0

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »
how about we put our machines to gether and have a nice fire? lol I just lost all insert lights and one slot reel on my who dunnit I just spent $150 on it the last time it broke

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »
The pins and connectors should be .1", not the larger .156".  

I verified that the +12V DC going to the flipper opto board comes from J116-2 on the power driver board.  You should be getting +12V DC from the power driver board (J116-2).  Truthfully, you may have it plugged at J116, J117 or J118.  They're all tied together and should all register +12V DC at pin 2.  LED 7 should be lit (upper left side of the power driver board) and also measure for 12V DC at TP1 just below LED 7.  If you don't have 12V, the problem probably lies with C30 or BR5.  I'd replace them both if suspect.

Also, if you have +12V DC at one or two of these locations, J116-2, J117-2 and J118-2, but not all, it's a cold solder joint on the driver board.  You should have continuity between all three of those pins.  If you don't, reflow some solder.
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
well, when you give up Leon, i will be happy to come pick it up , and rid you of your troubles :o)

By "low" voltage, what are you measuring?

AC / DC ? between what and what?

you should have 50v AC between J901-1/2 and J901-3/5
you should have 5v DC between J904-1 and J904-4/5
you should have 12v DC between J904-2 and J904-4/5

if you don't you need to move up, and check the power at the power driver board.

and if not there, slowly work your way backwards.

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
how about we put our machines to gether and have a nice fire? lol I just lost all insert lights and one slot reel on my who dunnit I just spent $150 on it the last time it broke

I don't want to get this thread hijacked so as not to confuse anyone, but will tell you where to look.  Any further questions should be posted in a new thread.  Check fuse F114.  Verify LED6 is lit and that you have +18V DC at TP8 (test point 8 ).  Also, reseat the short ribbon connector between the CPU and the driver board if the fuse is good.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:31:26 PM by tktlwyr »
David Paz

Offline k7

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 05:18:59 PM »

I don't want to get this thread hijacked so as not to confuse anyone, but will tell you where to look.  Any further questions should be posted in a new thread.  Check fuse F114.  Verify LED6 is lit and that you have +18V DC at TP8 (test point 8 ).  Also, reseat the short ribbon connector between the CPU and the driver board if the fuse is good.

helpful information given in this thread so far. just posting my appreciation for the members here. :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

0geist0

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »

understood

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »
Ummm.... did you change the bridge rectifiers, as we ALREADY knew those needed to be done?  Maybe that's causing this issue also, if it's a power problem.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
Long story short, I found a ground wire with a crushed pin.  This was causing the bad/no voltage to the flipper boards.  In the end, I spaced the interupter to clear the opto and it works like a champ, no more flakey flippers!  Huge thanks for Dave!  He knows his shit!  Drinks are on me!!!!!

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
That's great, glad you got it going.  See, simple!  It sounds pretty easy to find 1 bad wire...:)

How was the pin "crushed"?  Was it in a connector?