Author Topic: Flakey Flipper  (Read 6997 times)

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
Re: Flakey Flipper
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 08:23:56 PM »
You're welcome, Leon and Chris.  Thanks for the props!  

Once Leon told me what is was doing in the switch test, I knew what the problem was.  It was exasperated by Leon changing the connectors without finding and fixing the actual problem first.  It turned out to be something I posted to check in Post #28 that Leon couldn't check with his current meter because it doesn't have the ability to check continuity.  What really threw me for a loop was what the coils were doing when Leon was testing them.   ???

Important things to remember: you need a decent DMM (autoranging a plus) with the ability to test continuity (this would have made Leon's job a lot easier); if you're testing power coming out from a board, pull the connector and test the pins; if you're testing power going into the board, test at the connector; plastic flipper opto interrupters suck; don't start changing things before you find and fix the problem (this is why you should fix any problems prior to pulling apart and shopping a new game) and, lastly and most importantly, Jeff doesn't know WTF he's talking about when it comes to repairing pinball machines.  LOL!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:25:58 PM by tktlwyr »
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, MMrSE, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, and Wild Card

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
tru dat!

also, if you measure "low" voltage, tell everyone what you measured! and where!

for all i know he had low voltage at the wall outlet  :roll:
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
It was my fault.  I replaced the connectors from the scissor type to crimped Trifuricons.  They are .1 pins and are very small.  If your not careful you will pinch the part that makes contact with the pin on the board.  These voltage issues popped up after I replaced the connectors so I looked into the head of the connectors and you can see the metal flexible part inside the housing.  Well one of them was not visable so I took it out and saw confirmed it was crushed.  Replaced it and all fired up!!

With the help from Dave, we were testing voltages on the driver board and something was not adding up.  I needed to check continuity but my one meter I use for that broke a few months back and I never replaced it.  We left the phone conversation with me buying a new one tomorrow and getting back to him with what I found concerning the continuity.  So I as sat there I kept thinking something was up with the connectors.  I wiggled them, pulled them off and on, etc.  But nothing changed.  Thats when I looked into the housing.  

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
and, lastly and most importantly, Jeff doesn't know WTF he's talking about when it comes to repairing pinball machines.  LOL!

WTF?  Yeah, blame me...it's all MY fault the connector pin was crushed!  I didn't think my suggestions were totally outrageous though...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:05:40 PM by jsgtrman »

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
Ummm.... did you change the bridge rectifiers, as we ALREADY knew those needed to be done?  Maybe that's causing this issue also, if it's a power problem.

Whatever you say, Jeff.  ;)
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, MMrSE, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, and Wild Card

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2010, 09:38:10 PM »
Hey, sorry there, Mr. Super Tech....the BR's DO need to be changed as Leon knows with the resetting problems, I was just trying to offer something maybe you guys hadn't thought about.  The game was working perfect the day before over here, so obviously it wasn't something easy or stupid like I was thinking, like a bad connector or crushed pin or something. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:04:56 PM by jsgtrman »

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »
i think it needed new dilithium crystals, and data was to busy playing in the holodeck with Geordi La Forge to fix it, allowing the borge to take over troy's brain.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
Hey, sorry there, Mr. Super Tech....the BR's DO need to be changed as Leon knows with the resetting problems, I was just trying to offer something maybe you guys hadn't thought about.  The game was working perfect the day before over here, so obviously it wasn't something easy or stupid like I was thinking, like a bad connector or crushed pin or something. 

This issue was not new, it just went away for a while and played for a year without rearing it's head.  It is not a big deal and there is no blame for anyoine.  Two washers fixed the flakey flipper.  The other stuff was because I broke a wire and then crushed a pin.  Completely seperate from the original issue.  I plaed a few games tonight and it feels great to have it working.  I love this pin and see it as a keeper for a long time!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:15:32 PM by ibis »

Offline tktlwyr

• Lord of the Slings
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »

Jeff, the reason I said that is because the BRs regarding the resetting issue and the BR related to the 12V at the flipper opto board are unrelated.  Lighten up, Francis.   ;D
David Paz

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
Well, you could have just said THAT.  I'd rather have more ideas thrown around than less when trying to find a problem, especially since there wasn't any progress at the time.  The BR's are on the power board, when Leon mentioned he wasn't getting correct voltages I was throwing that out there since they currently need to be replaced anyway, and thought it COULD be related.  I was just trying to help, if my suggestions were WAY out of line, jeez....well, glad Leon got the game going again.