Author Topic: LOTR flippers  (Read 919 times)

Tbone1

LOTR flippers
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
I have the upgraded higher power flippers in my LOTR and wanted to see if anyone else had experience dealing with them.

I do like them for the most part but they are a bit over the top power wise.

I have the game at a good pitch around 7 degrees but the ball still does things like fly off the legolas ramp when you nail it etc. I dont really want to pitch the game any more then it is since it plays hard enough and nice and fast..

Any adjustments that can be made to lower the flipper power a bit?? I read somewhere that the coil strength software setting may work but that doesnt seem to do anything.

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
Re: LOTR flippers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
Yeah, the coil strength setting doesn't have much of an effect.  I have had two LOTRs and neither needed the coil upgrade.  If the software is updated to 10 and the flippers have been rebuilt then it shouldn't need the upgraded coil.  Also check the ramp going to the ring; the ball bouncing back over and over eventually smashes in the tips of the ramp affecting the ball a bit.  With the standard coil I would still get a random jumps off the legolas wireform on fast shots.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:50:48 PM by ratsflif »

Tbone1

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
Interesting... thanks.

yah I have had the game in the past and never really had issue with the stock flippers so maybe Ill just switch it back to standard coils.

The xtra power is kinda fun but it does sort of dick with the game.

Offline Baiter

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »
I upgraded one of my flippers and it's fairly strong, but not so much that it's missing or jumping anything.  I only did it because I needed a new coil anyhow and I wanted to see the difference.  However I believe as long as the flippers are clean/newly rebuilt, the stock ones should be fine. 
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Tbone1

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
I upgraded one of my flippers and it's fairly strong, but not so much that it's missing or jumping anything.  I only did it because I needed a new coil anyhow and I wanted to see the difference.  However I believe as long as the flippers are clean/newly rebuilt, the stock ones should be fine.

Interesting also... I'm sure there is more to it then just the flipper coils. Other things to adjust etc. On mine the ball is flying and I have it set up fairly steep.

Just not sure I like how the game plays with the super strong flippers.. helps for the center shot but makes other stuff harder to hit. takes all the feel out of the flippers.. cant sort of knuckleball the right flipper into the scoop, it will blast through even if you just tap it.

anyways... Ill mess around with it and maybe go back to standard to compare. center shot may get tougher but so what? that should have to be hit clean anyways.

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »
There are settings to dial back the flipper strength in the menu. Search RGP.  Dialing them back will make the game more playable, but it will still be FAST!  One FLiPS member played mine back in February and commented that the ball was moving faster than his eyes!  LOL  It does make the game more challenging.

FWIW, I had an original run LOTR and with the original coils AND rebuilt flippers, the flippers would lose strength during the game as the game progressed and necessitated a change to the stronger flippers.

Good luck!
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline Pinball Shark

• Level 5: Power User!
    • PinballShark.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
When I got my LOTR, it already had the upgraded flipper coils. Then I put in new bushings, linkages, and coil stops. I agree with you Tbone1, too strong!

So I installed a 1 ohm 10 watt ceramic resistor in-line with each flipper coil on the center lug. I just played a 30 minute game and didn't notice any fade. The Legolas ramp shot doesn't fly off into the Shire anymore and the game is more enjoyable. I could still hit the center ramp, too. It seemed just right, but I haven't waxed the playfield in about a month.

I took some ohm readings on these coils since I found a spare 5030 in my tool box. The higher the ohms the weaker the coil.

standard coil (5030) = 5.9
upgraded coil (5020) w/resistor = 5.0
upgraded coil (5020) = 4.0

This basically puts it in between the standard one and the upgraded one. Your mileage may vary, but they only cost $3 at Radio Shack and are easy to install and remove.
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

F L O R I D A P I N B A L L . C O M