Author Topic: 11 Treats you pray you don't get on Halloween  (Read 3185 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: 11 Treats you pray you don't get on Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
Tootsie Rolls & Dubble Bubble I disagree with - they're definitely not the best things you can get, but they're still in the "edible" category. They forgot those peanut butter molasses wads in black & orange wax paper wrappers. Even if you could stomach those they never let go of the paper.

Religious tracts would have pissed me off as a kid (as an adult though they're quite amusing), never got one though - the overly religious (crazy) lady in our neighborhood growing up would just scream at you through the screen door that Halloween was an evil holiday. I think she was just too cheap to buy candy. I would have egged her car but her long-suffering husband was a good guy (who had obviously just made one really bad decision), and he'd have been the one to clean it up.

I always heard tales of people getting full-size candy bars - definitely would have been the best treat - never saw one of those given out. As much of an urban legend as the razor blades in apples. They probably gave out full-sized candy bars that one year the neighborhood parents collectively freaked out over rumors of poisoned candy and made us have a lame Halloween party instead of trick-or-treating.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:29:50 PM by Niloc »

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
You gotta admit, from a religious (pick one!) point of view, the holiday of Halloween is pretty evil. There is the gluttony of candy, dressing up as evil thing, dressing up in hyper-sexual costumes, etc. What's worse is that the evil comes to your door. What if gay people had a 'holiday' like Halloween where they... walked your streets and asked candy from you? Nobody would stand for that. I feel sliiiiighty bad for religious folks during H-ween. I'd throw tracts at you too (especially the Dungeons & Dragons one)
"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." -- HHTTG

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
-- Mark Twain

Offline xenoina

• Administrator
  • Level 5: Power User!
    • Game Warp Arcade Pinball & Console Gaming Show
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »
Tootsie Rolls & Dubble Bubble I disagree with - they're definitely not the best things you can get, but they're still in the "edible" category. They forgot those peanut butter molasses wads in black & orange wax paper wrappers. Even if you could stomach those they never let go of the paper.

I agree with you on that.  Tootsie Rolls are fine with me and I love gum!

We like to give out the toys you get in kids meals along with candy.  It's always a hit with the kids.
Game Warp, Show Organizer
Arcade Pinball and Gaming Show
www.gamewarp.org

Facebook.com/GameWarpShow
Twitter@GameWarpShow

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »
Tootsie Rolls - Yeah these aren't that bad, they are just the lowest form of halloween candy. I mean, i'd eventually eat them but just not that exciting.

Double Bubble - hated bubble gum (still do) and hated getting these. at least bazooka had a lame comic.

Pennies - WTF? I got those before. Don't be so lazy that you hand out the cash equiv. of a mini-snickers. I can't do much of anything with 4 cents lady.

Good n' Plenty - I never understood these. Did anybody like these damn things? I'm not the biggest licorce fan but I can deal with twizzlers, they are okay.. but good and plenty is only right in one regard.

Toothbrushes, tracts - never got either to my recollection. Then again we didn't live in a neighborhood so i rarely did the actual 'trick or treat' scenerio. Usually i was at a school event and/or a church event. Yeah churches were down on the holiday but they'd have fall festivals every year that were halloween parties with a different name, costumes and all. Anyway even back in the 80s schools probably knew better than to let people hand out tracts, and the churches probably figured they were preaching to the choir.

Pencils, Erasers - Got these occasionally. Yeah not the best but at least they were utilitarian. Better than a good n' plenty.

Stuff I'd add -

Like Niloc mentioned those horrible Orange and Black candies. WTF were those supposed to be? Some horrible inpentrable taffy. Unlike a Sugar Daddy or a Bit o' Honey these were no fun.  Took what seemed like days to chew the damn things. I always feared one would choke me to death.

Hershey's Special Dark - can't blame people for having these as they always show up in those hersheys assortments.. but it was always the last candy left. It was edible but you'd always have these last.

Palmer Peanut Butter Cups - Palmer was like the Gobots of candy. You'd think you scored a lot of decent stuff until you realized a lot of those gold cups weren't reeses. This stuff was pretty cheap and gross.

Spider Rings - yeah i love skull rings and one or two was a nice sign that it was halloween. However by the end of the night you likely had 3 dozen of the things and this isn't an item that gets exponentially better in numbers.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:41:57 PM by number six »

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »
carrots would be aiiight (adult me talking), if they were chilled. in FL, they wouldn't stay chilled.

circus peanuts are WACK as hell.

pencils would be cool! what's wrong with swag like pencils and stickers??? Give me a nice pencil any day.

raisins are cool.

pennies. wack.

Double Bubble is great. you eat a handful for 10 minutes, spit it out and then go brush your teeth.

Jujubees. never had'em. never seen'em actually.

Tootsie Rolls. the Tootsie Rolls POPS are cool. rolls are wack, no matter the kind of cylinder that fake ass chocolate is in. GRR!!!

Toothbrush. that's just hilarious. awesome win for toothbrush manufacturers.

Good & Plenty. WACK!
"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." -- HHTTG

-- Mark Twain

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »

Hershey's Special Dark - can't blame people for having these as they always show up in those hersheys assortments.. but it was always the last candy left. It was edible but you'd always have these last.

Palmer Peanut Butter Cups - Palmer was like the Gobots of candy. You'd think you scored a lot of decent stuff until you realized a lot of those gold cups weren't reeses. This stuff was pretty cheap and gross.

PALMER PB cups? Is combining peanut butter and chocolate a bad thing with any name on the package? :)

Yeah, Special Dark. That's the wack one. KRISPY RULES.

-- Mark Twain

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
PALMER PB cups? Is combining peanut butter and chocolate a bad thing with any name on the package? :)

If it's real chocolate and peanut butter, no. But I suspect Palmer is more wax than anything else.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:11 AM »
We like to give out the toys you get in kids meals along with candy.  It's always a hit with the kids.

Yeah nothing like a Happy Meal toy to make a 6 year olds night.

If we ever hit the lotto i saw we hand out Gameboys or 360s. But only 2. So the legend of the house that gave out 360s will spread. Then when kids que up we'll hand out the crappiest candy ever and just say that the 360 story was bunk. The confusion at school the next day will be epic.

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
Actually, you sell raffle tickets for a used DS Lite from GameStop for $1 each. At the end of the night, pick the raffle ticket of the kid/parents that were the least jerk-like and pocket the extra $1s! yay! everyone wins!

-- Mark Twain

Offline xenoina

• Administrator
  • Level 5: Power User!
    • Game Warp Arcade Pinball & Console Gaming Show
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »

Yeah nothing like a Happy Meal toy to make a 6 year olds night.

If we ever hit the lotto i saw we hand out Gameboys or 360s. But only 2. So the legend of the house that gave out 360s will spread. Then when kids que up we'll hand out the crappiest candy ever and just say that the 360 story was bunk. The confusion at school the next day will be epic.

Haha!  I'm down for that :)  Just grab some candy from this list and we'll be the most confusing house on the block. 

On the other hand, I'm not too fond of most of the neighbors so maybe we should nix that idea and just break out the pennies.  :P
Game Warp, Show Organizer
Arcade Pinball and Gaming Show
www.gamewarp.org

Facebook.com/GameWarpShow
Twitter@GameWarpShow

Offline Baiter

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:35:20 AM »
You gotta admit, from a religious (pick one!) point of view, the holiday of Halloween is pretty evil. There is the gluttony of candy, dressing up as evil thing, dressing up in hyper-sexual costumes, etc. What's worse is that the evil comes to your door. What if gay people had a 'holiday' like Halloween where they... walked your streets and asked candy from you? Nobody would stand for that. I feel sliiiiighty bad for religious folks during H-ween. I'd throw tracts at you too (especially the Dungeons & Dragons one)

Maybe you don't realize that Halloween is YET ANOTHER religious holiday?  It's to All Saints Day as Mardi Gras is to Ash Wednesday -- A gluttony of celebrations and feasting before fasting during a celebration of death and resurrection of the dead.  You could feel bad for Jews who have to endure Christian holidays, or Muslims who have to endure Jewish holidays... but when it comes down to it if you're going to feel bad for some group, think of the many religious holidays the atheists are forced to endure that interrupt normal life with what appear to be endless pointless rituals.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »
EDIT: Ah! Hween is the eve of All Saints Day. I didn't even assume they were related. Nobody is really forced to celebrate Easter Sunday, Fat Tuesday, Good Friday, Ash Wednesday. I've never been affected by Dwali? and I've rarely driven by the mosque when it was making some prayer chime sound. (I still salivate at some yummy meat smell at sundown during/after? Ramadan!!!)

For H-ween, you have costumed kids roaming the streets like little gangsters wanting candy from you. You're forced to either give in and give out (candy) or you must turn off all your lights and hope nobody knocks at your door. :)

Atheists are kicked in the nuts trying to find a restaurant on Christmas Day (try Chinese!) and the insane shopping for Christmas. I guess we're all forced to endure more fish being available on Friday (yuck) but I think the Catholic church doesn't enforce that as hardcore anymore?

-- Mark Twain

Offline sirmatt

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »
What a bunch of bs!! Good and Plenty are good (licorice fan, although I like the Panda kind...whatever that brand is...amazing). JuJuBe's were always welcomed in my bag. And Circus Peanuts PWN YOU!! Greatest banana-flavored nut-shaped object EVAR!!!
WHITE RUBBER SUPREMACIST

Aztec | Big Hit | Disco Fever | Drop-A-Card | Earthshaker | Firepower | Fun Fest | Genie | Gorgar | Hot Line | Jive Time | King Pin | Roller Disco | Satin Doll | Sky Jump | Sorcerer | Super Star | Suspense | Wild Wild West

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »
What a bunch of bs!! Good and Plenty are good (licorice fan, although I like the Panda kind...whatever that brand is...amazing). JuJuBe's were always welcomed in my bag. And Circus Peanuts PWN YOU!! Greatest banana-flavored nut-shaped object EVAR!!!

Circus Peanuts are OK, but not a fan of unwrapped candy on Halloween. Who knows what these peoples bathroom washing habits are like.

Good n' Plenty is all you bub, that stuff is nasty.