Author Topic: When in Vegas...  (Read 960 times)

Offline BIT

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
When in Vegas...
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
I'm in Vegas this weekend with a couple of friends.  Plenty of poker, craps, blackjack, etc., but as I had never been to the Pinball Hall of Fame out here, I decided to make give it a try yesterday. 

It sounded like many of you have been there before, but for those that haven't don't expect anything too nice if you do go.  (better to have low expectations and be moderatly surprised I always say).  The collection of pins is overall pretty impressive, especially EM pins.  Some cool rare stuff (Pinball Circus, etc.).  However, I found it to be extremely dark for one.  I was really looking forward to checking out a few specific pins I have never (or rarely) played.  Unfortunately, it was very difficult to really see (and even tougher to hear) them.  There were also numerous machines down/off (CV for one).  Some were fairly "rough" too.  My Dr. Who isn't perfect, but it sure kicks the ass of the one they have!  It looked like someone duck taped the areas where you should install Cliffy's!  Made me appreciate the work I've been putting into mine even more. 

All that said, I'm still glad I went.  I did get to play some enjoyable games (MM for the first time for example).  I even spotted a complete and functional Paddle Battle for Steve/MM!  In fact. the arcade selection was bigger than I anticpated based on what I read on their website. 

-Jason
Vids: Gauntlet I/II
Pins: Avengers LE Hulk, GOT Pro, Mando Premium

Offline snaroff

Re: When in Vegas...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
Interesting. I'm not too surprised.

Yet another reason why I think the only market for pinball is in the home (where they get much more love).

I can't remember playing a pinball machine on location that looked great and worked 100%.

snaroff

Offline BIT

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »
I was going to take a picture of the outside of the building (the true definition of "whole in the wall"), but I didn't think that would be fair to what is ultimately a nice thing to have for those of us who enjoy pins.  All proceeds from the place go to charity too, and from what I have read, they have given $100k+ over the years.  You can tell the machines are fairly well maintained for the hugh quantity of machines they have.  But certainly not museum (or home) quality. 

Here are a couple quick pics I took with my phone of some of the "cooler" stuff I saw:

Vids: Gauntlet I/II
Pins: Avengers LE Hulk, GOT Pro, Mando Premium

Tbone1

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
gotta cut them some slack... that is a ton of machines to keep going and its a logistical nightmare for the most part.

With the way pin prices are going I think we are all fairly lucky someone would let that stuff sit and get played by anyone off the street for fun.. 

If that was my MM it wouldnt be sitting there for anyone to walk up and beat on. Never mind that pinball circus..  :P

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
i also learned when in vegas stay at a hotel that has access to the tram, and just pay for a all day pass on the tram :P

i walked the strip once, will never do it again.. the auria hotel is very nice to stay at.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Baiter

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
All proceeds from the place go to charity too, and from what I have read, they have given $100k+ over the years.  You can tell the machines are fairly well maintained for the hugh quantity of machines they have.  But certainly not museum (or home) quality. 

Sounds like they'd be better off donating $50k to charity and using the other $50k on pin maintenance.  People will stop making an effort to go there if the pins aren't in top condition.
WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
you also need to know that half the machines ARE not PHOF's they are donated by local pin enthusiast.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
PHOF is great.  Yeah some of the machines are a disappointment.   But where else can you find such a variety in one place?  When I was a kid the arcade was a big, dirty room full of games in a strip mall.  PHOF is just that on a much grander scale;-D  I hadn't touched a pin in over 15 years and it totally rekindled my interest when I visited last year. 

Chris   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:59:08 PM by cboothe »