Author Topic: Jersey jack WOZ blast  (Read 6416 times)

Tbone1

Jersey jack WOZ blast
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
As I am sure a few other people did I got the WOZ email from Jersey Jack which said in part " When real production games ship later this month, it will be a game with ongoing software development and easily installable updates occurring on a regular basis. " The email also brags that they have the multilball software working.  :P after two years this is good news to have working mutliball software?

People been waiting for how long under the guise that they will be getting a game that is a new breed out of the box and now he says they are about to ship when the software isnt close to done?? Is this not the biggest gripe against Stern?

this aint Pinside so I'm not posting this to start shit but I am curious what those who forked over for WOZ think of all this..

Ive been somewhat tempted to plunk down a deposit on the Hobbit but to me this is pretty discouraging.

Offline SHOPOFGAMES

• Show Organizer
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • CURLY
Re: Jersey jack WOZ blast
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
Here it is in a nut shell, would you rather have the pin now without the software complete, or wait till it is finished?  I myself vote now, so I can at least play it with the current software and get use to it and the shots and update the software as it comes.  I trust Jack will get the updates out as soon as possible to all the owners.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »
i have no ponies in this race.

however, i think the emerald city WoZ is ready, and just sitting...somewhere. i think it's smart to FINALLY give the people their game, and just let them know, software updates will be coming.

no matter what, jack is dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't. he changed the game no matter what the outcome. :)
        ***CHAD Approved***

WTB:  HotDoggin'

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
He had to send something out to prevent the onslaught of hate @ TPF.

I agree w/Curly, if the hardware is 100% , then ship it out.

i just add 1 bit.

FIRE there software developer, find someone else who can code.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline murfe88

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
I have been waiting almost two years since I signed up for woz. I am over it and want my game now. I dont care if the software is incomplete. I have no problem updating it as newer software comes available. Give me my damn game.  >:(
Toy Story LE , TBL , AIQ premium , TMNT pro , EHOH , Godzilla pro , Vpin , GT2022 pedestal , Arcade Collections pedestal , PacMan Galaga reunion .

Offline JimB

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:46 PM »
Hopefully the software is all that will need an update.....just saying....
PINS - TSPP, STTNG, POTC, Munsters, 24, STLE, bm66, Aerosmith

Offline snaroff

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:06:34 AM »

FIRE there software developer, find someone else who can code.

But the software developer is "pinball super hero" Keith Johnson:-) Firing Keith is sacrilegious!

Kidding aside, what's unfolding here doesn't surprise me at all (having worked/lead/managed software projects for ~30 years). Developing a new software platform is extremely challenging. It takes incredible taste to focus on all the right stuff. Most programmers don't have the leadership/management chops to scope the project and stay focused. Jack is a salesman/businessman and managing software evidently isn't his thing. You'd think Joe Balcer (project lead) could have helped out, however my intuition says he isn't a software guy either.

When Keith worked for B/W, Stern, he was standing atop many other shoulders. On WOZ, he's much more "exposed". I actually feel sorry for the dude...having the company "bragg" about getting a multiball to work is really sad.

Add to this, all of Jack's assertions that "JJP will never ship incomplete code" like Stern.

Hopefully this is all humbling to Jack. From my perspective, his management of this project has been disappointing (to be polite).

When I "invested" in this company, I knew it would have lots of ups & downs (like any startup). Oh well...still feel good to support a Stern alternative...

snaroff
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:21:37 AM by snaroff »

Offline prefontaine79

• Level 5: Power User!
  • twitch.tv/pinballconspiracy
    • Pinball Conspiracy
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
Well. I did have a horse in this race. Been in since april 2011. Met Jack and talked with him on the phone on numerous occasions, love the dude but...I used to be in sales. I only had success with it when I totally knew my product and could answer any question that came my way with confidence. The last few times I talked with Jack he didnt have the same swagger he did when this whole thing started, almost like he had been spread to thin. Something just seems wrong. I enjoyed every step of the way, the updates, the exclusive google newsgroup. Then for like the last 6+ months there has been nothing but crickets chirping and excuses blaming vendors. Keith would chime in all the time too, but not lately. Long story short I bailed and sold my spot. Never thought I'd say it but I guess I am a Stern guy now. I spent the last 3 years hunting down all the classic B/W games I could afford. I recently parted ways with most of them and put the $ into an AvengersLE. All I can say is wow, I cant get enough of it. I cant wait to see what Stern game is next. I have $ down on the hobbit but that might change too. I wish the best for JJP, if not for them Stern would have had no reason to up there games!!
LZPro
MandoPro

Offline Mike D

• http://www.pinballmiked.com
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
I bailed over a year ago, no regrets.  I wish Jack nothing but the best.  With that said, does any of this come as a surprise?  After the 3rd production delay JJP lost all credibility with me.  They should have just said from the beginning, “Hey, we can’t commit to a time line because we are developing all new technology, but our game is going to change everything and make the wait worthwhile.”  The reason Jack promises everything and throws out BS completion dates is because his business venture required millions of dollars in upfront startup costs.  He’s not stupid, he figured out how to have his customers front a substantial portion of that bill.  If Jack was honest and told customers he didn’t know when the project would be completed, then he wouldn’t have too many customers and JJP would never have happened.  I feel for the guys still waiting for their machine.  What worries me most is that JJP is now asking for money for a 2nd machine and they haven’t even shipped the first – sounds like a cash flow problem to me.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad and just be happy that Stern has raised their game.  I can only imagine the complexity of trying to build a new pinball machine from the ground up, so JJP definitely should get props for that.

Tbone1

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
Well.... the guy is a salesman Ill give him that. Even if its not pinaball machine of the century he should get salesman of the decade at least.  :P

To talk that many people into giving you that much money that long ago and keep delaying delivery... then to not deliver what was promised? pretty incredible feat if he can keep people thinking its all going great so they dont all bail.

They have had forever to get this together... to me there is zero excuse at this point to not deliver what they consider to be the final product.

Just as a matter of pride and being a new company... I dont care if you have to hire 20 people to work 24 hours for the last few months to get the code "finished" you have to do it. Maybe stop running around to every show and doing press and stay in the office and finish the thing at this point?

The biggest gripe on Stern is shipping good games with dud software.. cant believe that after all the talk JJ would do the same and ship a $7500 shell just to get it out.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
They should of had a team of software / hardware developers for the first pin.

I have every faith in KJ , but he rubbed me the wrong way at SPF, and being a software developer myself ( 13+ years, designing, developing, and deploying , including hardware design )

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline k7

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »
i have to laugh at 1 thing: stern didn't change, or up their game...they raised their prices.

better quality was put in 2002 stern titles than is put in current releases.

there really hasn't been a "bad" stern in the 2000's.
        ***CHAD Approved***

WTB:  HotDoggin'

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
Watching the movie again and again, it is clear that this got too personal. Jack wanted revenge on Gary.  One of the oldest motives in the book.

So initially everything Jack did and said was to get at Gary including making grandiose promises that were the exact opposite of things Stern was known for doing. To really show Gary up, Jack hired who many felt was Stern's greatest programmer and also designers of some of Stern's best-known games.

Now enter in the JJP vs Stern fanboys and collectors shelling out big money for pins to both companies.

(You may have noticed Orville Redenbacher's stock went through the roof. )

But, despite all of the posts, all of the promises, secret blogs, and finger pointing, and AH HA! look at us now updates with WOZ prototypes at every show, here we are more than 2 years later with the end result:

There is a new pinball company that is offering pinball machines and the code will be updated along the way.

So, it is pinball business as usual.

To keep it simple: Buy the games you enjoy and update the code as it comes out. If you don't like the code update concept or the waiting game, don't preorder new pins or rush to buy the game in the early phase. All of the great pins have had massive updates from its initial release. EVERY ONE.

Some games will be updated and will become greater with code updates (which may take a long time) and other games are just gonna stink no matter what code comes out. Welcome to buying new pinball machines.

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline snaroff

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
Maybe stop running around to every show and doing press and stay in the office and finish the thing at this point?

Amen! After reading this thread, I'm seriously considering bailing.

snaroff

Offline Mike D

• http://www.pinballmiked.com
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »
Amen! After reading this thread, I'm seriously considering bailing.

snaroff

But in 2 weeks you'll get your game ;)