Author Topic: Mid-Engine Corvette  (Read 1272 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Mid-Engine Corvette
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »

Yes, folks, this is it. It's the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, aka the C8. You might know it as the mystical, magical, long-awaited mid-engined Corvette. Naturally, the bulk of the conversation around this new car will focus on where the engine sits within its chassis, but that's just the beginning of this near-reinvention for one of America's most iconic sports cars. The 'Vette has always had supercar aspirations. Now, it's a legitimate threat to the best that Europe and Japan have to offer.

We'll start with the obvious: the engine itself. Welcome to the new LT2. It's still a 6.2-liter V8 and, at least in this initial flavor, it eschews forced induction. Where the base C7 made 455 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, however, this new one does 495 hp and 470 lb-ft -- or it will with the optional performance exhaust, at least. Without said exhaust, output numbers drop to 490 and 465, respectively. Dry-sump lubrication is standard, meaning a smaller oil pan and more consistent oil pressure on the track.

The bigger change, though, is what it's connected to. For the first time the 2020 Corvette will have an eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission from Tremec. The good news is that means no more slushbox automatic. The bad news? No more three-pedal manual transmission. Yes, I have mixed feelings about this too, but when it comes to performance there's no doubt DCTs are quicker. How quick? The new C8 will have a 0-60 mph time of less than 3 seconds. Chevrolet isn't quoting an exact time yet, but considering the outgoing ZR1 needed 755 hp to clock in at 2.8 seconds, that's mighty impressive.

Automatic only, guess the Millennials won't be left out.

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
Re: Mid-Engine Corvette
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Awesome.  It's about time.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »
Very Ferrari looking.

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
can't wait to see how these things handle. or see them wrapped around trees...i've had turbo and stock MR2 cars, 50/50 split mid engine cars. it's a different beast to drive "sporty". ;D

rear engine is another anomaly.
        ***CHAD Approved***

WTB:  HotDoggin'

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
can't wait to see how these things handle. or see them wrapped around trees...i've had turbo and stock MR2 cars, 50/50 split mid engine cars. it's a different beast to drive "sporty". ;D

rear engine is another anomaly.

AGreed.    :roll: :D

Offline Don Panetta aka 404

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »
This thing wreaks of budget ferrari

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
Looks great, I'll take one!  I'm sure the affordable "budget Ferrari" pricetag is still to pricey for most crimefighters. What IS the price?

Offline kbvette

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »

I've owned several vettes,current one 1980 l82 that is being restored.When done that baby goes bye bye,hello new mid engine vette !
Pins Fish Tales,XMEN LE,DM,Iron Man,Corvette,