Author Topic: Surprised to Find Little Home Theater Posts  (Read 3306 times)

Offline imjay

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
    • My Old Band
Surprised to Find Little Home Theater Posts
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »
I would have figured all the digital and arcade and pinball types in the BBS would be way into BIG screen toys.

I like our pins a lot but spend a lot of time plopped down in front of the big wall screen watching favorite flicks.  It was a journey learning about aspect ratios, lumens, screens, inputs, outputs, up scaling/converting and etc.

Anyhow, thought I'd post and see how many pin heads also waste time with big projection Home Theater.
Jim
AFM RFM TAF MB NGG TZ Fathom F-14Tomcat, Cougar Dart, Tournament Tornado Foos, Short-Stop

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Surprised to Find Little Home Theater Posts
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:25:18 AM »
Ah alot of the arcade people are myopic. If it isn't in the arcade subs they have a hard to venturing into see it.. which is silly!!!

Anyway yeah, I would imagine there's definitely some overlap. I've been into HT longer than coin-op collecting, but probably not by too much. I think I got into laserdiscs back in '94 or '95. Haven't done much on that front lately though, need to upgrade my speakers.

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
I've got a pretty nice system, but it's all in storage right now as my wife and I just moved back into town not long ago.  I had pictures of us building/setting it up on the board before the crash at our old location.

Once I get it all setup again, I'll take some pics and post em here. 

Here are the specs:

JVC RS1 HD Projector
SMX 16:9 126in Diag (110in wide) ProLine/CineWeave Acoustically Transparent Screen (Front L/R/C Speakers are behind the screen)

Rotel
RSP-1098 Pre-Amp
RB-1090 Amp (2x380 @ 8 ohms)
RMB-1095 Amp (5x200 @ 8 ohms)

Mostly Phase Technology Speakers

L/R/C PC-9.1 Tower Speaker
LR/RR PC-3.1 Bookshelf Speaker
LS/RS Jamo Bi-pole/Di-pole surround
Phase Tech Power 15 Sub (15in/400W sub)

Sources

Onkyo DV-SP1000 (DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A, ect)
Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD/Upconverting DVD player)
Sony PS3 (needs a replacement HD though)
Xbox XBMC
Xbox 360 Elite
HT Computer Network

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »
Dood, didn't your ps3 hd die a while ago? Is it still under warranty from Sony?
"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." -- HHTTG

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
-- Mark Twain

Offline The Renegade

• Original Member
  • Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
Dood, didn't your ps3 hd die a while ago? Is it still under warranty from Sony?

ahem.

Quote from: yosho
Sony PS3 (needs a replacement HD though)

Personally I don't believe Yosho has ANY of that equipment. I've been to his residence recently and didn't see so much as a set of cabling, let alone any stereo equipment or a large TV (I think the one they have is a 20" tv or so)

:)

Offline imjay

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
    • My Old Band
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
I'm a sorta cheap - maybe sounds better to say cost conscious - person.  The only reason I took the front projection plunge is I paid $50 at an outlet store for a CostCo return package - obviously dropped and seriously broken Canon projector with a very nice Da-lite fixed screen.

To my surprise Canon offered to flat-rate fix the PJ for $500 or no cost to me if I rejected their appraisal once they received it so I shipped it off and they completely rebuilt it and sent it back - three new boards, new exterior case and new lamp plus calibrated back to factory specs.

First look at a 120 inch diagonal image and I knew all TVs were dinky little noisy boxes compared to the BIG SCREEN.  For a "business" 1024X768 Canon did their usual excellent product build including an image processor with a Cinema Mode that made it a very good movie projector.  I think the first movie I watched was Master and Commander followed by some B quality Steven Segal flick - I was hooked.

Eight months later same little outlet store had a Panasonic AE-900U 720P 16:9 CostCo floor demo unit with 88 hrs on the lamp for $600 so I bought that and now with a decent up converting dvd player all our standard def dvd movies look near HD so now I spend a lot of time sitting in a very dim room watching a LOT of movies.

Hated commercial theaters and having to sit in a crowd of the noisy and rude unwashed masses - hadn't been to a theater in like at least 15 years so finding I could get a near theater experience at home in pajama pants drinking coffee or beer was a real revelation.

Projector plus good screen plus surround sound plus Netflix plus DVDShrink or DVDFab is such a great Home Theater combo!!

Glad to see that some pin/arcade folk take a break now and then for Home Theater.
AFM RFM TAF MB NGG TZ Fathom F-14Tomcat, Cougar Dart, Tournament Tornado Foos, Short-Stop

Offline The Renegade

• Original Member
  • Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
For my stuff.. I haven't looked at my crap for awhile, so I've forgotten most model numbers.

living room:
Onkyo TX901 receiver
Sony somethingortheother 5 disc dvd/sacd player  (one of sony's ES level players without the ES badge and -$1,000, and without the better CD-analog audio outputs)
Mitsu Laserdisc player, don't remember the Pioneer model equilivent, 604 maybe? :shrug:
Toshiba 6 head VCR! HELL YEAH!
Rotel CD player (yeah forgot it's model # as well)
XBox
PS2
Onkyo HTR-1 (I think) speaker set, very rare THX certified set with dipole surrounds, a stupid large center channel (5 drivers, or maybe 6, forget, matching the floor standing L/R speakers), dual 15" sub
MX850 remote
52" LCD RPTV

Office:
Onkyo cheap refurb HTIB with free reburb DVD player (upconverting), the whole package was $165 shipped, the speakers and speaker wire definately suck but no need to upgrade it in the office
Xbox 360
Olevia 32" LCD flat panel

Garage: (not really HT, not 5.1, but whatever)
Old school Pioneer stereo receiver
Old school Pioneer CD player
JBL Pro studio monitor speakers (got them for free, much better than the Polk R50's it was using, if they weren't so damn big and ugly I'd use them in the house instead)
Polk R50 (listing only because they are still sitting in the garage, will move to the minisystem in the bedroom once I rearrange crap in the garage)

Bedroom:
Panasonic minisystem :P listing for the hell of it

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
My VCR is in the garage with the CED player. It no longer has a spot on the receiver.

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »
Lol Rene, that sounds like you just volunteered to help me set it all back up again!!  Yea! 

Imjay: Sounds like you've got a great system and got it on the cheap.  That's fantastic.  Post some pics when you get a chance.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:33:09 PM by Yosho »

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:21:21 AM »
Found some pics of my system from last Fall/Winter when I set it up.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »
There's something wrong with your copy of Halo 3, there's some dork in it.

:)

Offline funky49

• Froody dude
  • Original Member
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
Don't worry dude. I think his name is Master Chief or Master Chef or Master Thief?
"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." -- HHTTG

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
-- Mark Twain

Offline Baiter

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »
I bought most of my stuff 9-10 years ago.  It takes a while to find the right mix, and I haven't felt the need to re-invest in anything new.  I was an early HD adopter with my 1999 55" Mitsubishi rear projection, still great, but it lacks HDMI... so far no bug for a flat screen quite yet, though I have a place picked out for one... or two.

My stereo is a Yamaha RX-V995, but my B&W Matrix speakers are great, with an HSU subwoofer (best sub for your money).  I've always had a strange issue with Dolby Digital vs DTS though, where I seem to get a much better sound leveling off of DTS, whereas Dolby Digital is quiet in speaking parts and loud in action sequences when it fires up all the speakers.  Never figured out how to address that.
WTB: Defender, Embryon