Author Topic: looking for a DVD drive for my Dell 4600 computer  (Read 2319 times)

SILVERBALLZ

looking for a DVD drive for my Dell 4600 computer
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
Anyone have a dvd drive that will fit my dell 4600 computer.. I have never had one, and want to try one out.

Offline micksimmonds

• Level 10: Timelord
    • FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2016 - Bigger, Better ;-)
Re: looking for a DVD drive for my Dell 4600 computer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
i got a basic dvd drive you can have, but you would be better to just get a DVD burner from newegg, will give you far more options.
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

SILVERBALLZ

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:37:53 AM »
I really just want something basic that I can plug into my computer.. It looks like there is empty space under my current disc drive.. There is a cover that can come off.. I am sure there is a spot for it...  It does not need to be fancy!! I just want to be able to play dvd's on my computer.  I am not looking for one to burn dvds with.. Just to play them

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:45:01 AM »
you would also need to ensure u have a decent version of media player or something like Power DVD, I can ship you the dvd player if you want, just cover shipping lmk
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »
I really just want something basic that I can plug into my computer.. It looks like there is empty space under my current disc drive.. There is a cover that can come off.. I am sure there is a spot for it...  It does not need to be fancy!! I just want to be able to play dvd's on my computer.  I am not looking for one to burn dvds with.. Just to play them

The price difference between a DVD-ROM and a DVD Recorder these days is literally pennies so your better off spending the extra buck or two just in case.

Here's a Sony for $25 shipped

Offline micksimmonds

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »
I totally agree a DVD recorder is well worth it, Rome just spend the $25 get a Sony shipped to you, gonna be far easier and better in the long run.
FREEPLAY FLORIDA

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »
I totally agree a DVD recorder is well worth it, Rome just spend the $25 get a Sony shipped to you, gonna be far easier and better in the long run.

Just make sure your PC has SATA if not here's a PATA/IDE drive for $24 shipped

Before you ask, if you don't know the difference between SATA and PATA or what your PC supports, buy the PATA one as it will definitely work.

Offline imjay

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
    • My Old Band
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
So what kind of drive is your existing drive?  CD?  If so your PC probably would be most compatible with any IDE internal drive.

Check the ads - go to your Big Box Store - buy whichever internal drive has best price or name brand your prefer - open your pc case and install the drive and you're done.  If you have an existing drive it is probably plugged as Primary on your Secondary IDE drive cable so plug this drive into second terminal of that IDE cable.

Your new drive will come bundled with a disc of software - sometimes pretty good software for "free".
goodluck
AFM RFM TAF MB NGG TZ Fathom F-14Tomcat, Cougar Dart, Tournament Tornado Foos, Short-Stop

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »
So what kind of drive is your existing drive?  CD?  If so your PC probably would be most compatible with any IDE internal drive.

If his computer isn't compatible with IDE I'd be amazed that he's even able to run a GUI to get to this page in the first place. Well I guess he could be using Lynx  ;)

Still I'm amazed it didn't come with at least a DVD-ROM drive, those have been standard on Dells for quite sometime.

Check the ads - go to your Big Box Store - buy whichever internal drive has best price or name brand your prefer - open your pc case and install the drive and you're done.  If you have an existing drive it is probably plugged as Primary on your Secondary IDE drive cable so plug this drive into second terminal of that IDE cable.

Your new drive will come bundled with a disc of software - sometimes pretty good software for "free".
goodluck

You'll probably get raped a little on a DVD drive at a big box as that will most definitely be a retail boxed version which means $50+. If he has a CompUSA close they may sell the OEM stuff. Only the retail boxes will come with software generally, but you really don't need it. Windows Media Player should be able to handle a DVD, if not there's a freeware DVD player called 'AVS' (google it!) which seemed to work about as well as PowerDVD.

SILVERBALLZ

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »
When I ordered the dell computer, I chose not to get the Dvd drive.. I just went with the standard cd disc.. I did take the cover off of the tower that is just under the cd drive, and i see a plug with a rubber cap on it, just a molex connector.. Looks fairly straight forward to install one... Can't wait to try this.