Author Topic: Game transportation ideas?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline PunkicCyborg

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
  • PUSH RUN BUTTON!
Game transportation ideas?
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
Last year I brought 2 cabs and a bunch of monitors and stuff on the back of my truck. It was a a pain in the butt loading them up and weather protecting them with wrap and tarps. I'd like to bring more stuff and also my friends cab this year for FPF. My dad has a nice trailer I can use but it's open and not having to worry about bad weather driving home to Tampa might be worth me splitting a Uhaul/enclosed trailer rental with my friend.
Anyone have recommendations for places to rent from with good prices or types of trailers to use for a weekend and a ballpark how much that would cost? Or any other ideas for alternatives to renting would be appreciated.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Game transportation ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
the 6X12 Uhaul trailer is a good deal even with insurance from any local Uhaul dealer.

It's enclosed and they're usually in very nice shape.
I've rented 4X8's on up to the 6X12.
Only issue is you have to lay the arcade games down as the games are usually too tall to stand upright.
Expect to pay around $40-$50 per day for this including insurance.  Not bad.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »
First off, we appreciate the effort of ANYONE who goes this distance, renting a trailer to help, participate, and support the show....THANK YOU!!

Just a suggestion, reach out to others in your local area who might want to also contribute but do not have the needs of transportation.  The empty space that remains after you load your games could help another member of the community participate, get in free for the weekend, and party with us Saturday night.  Maybe they can help with gas, rental, etc. too, helping offset your costs as well; win/win.

Don't forget to log into arcade game tracker to register your games, believe it or not...its already filling up!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:38:30 PM »
+note, we are not having a show in the middle of Hurricane Season :)
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline mikeatsparkys

• Level 5: Power User!
    • Goonies Pinball Project
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
+note, we are not having a show in the middle of Hurricane Season :)

Bingo, this will help a lot.  haha

Splitting the cost with Villagers in your area helps.  Uhaul trailers are great.  Beats having to have your own, store it, etc.
- Mike J.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Game Collector
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »
I wonder where the price breaks would be if say 4 people split the rental of a small uhaul truck you could probably get close to a dozen games in at very little cost per person.

Offline PunkicCyborg

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
  • PUSH RUN BUTTON!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
I wonder where the price breaks would be if say 4 people split the rental of a small uhaul truck you could probably get close to a dozen games in at very little cost per person.
Yeah I'm kinda leaning in this direction, think I'll have to price it out closer to the date

Offline RussG

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
That actually is a good idea.  A 16 foot Uhaul truck or a 24 footer.  Cheap if split among 4 people or so.
Problem with this idea though you have to pay mileage, not that big of a deal and you need a truck with a ramp unless you want to break your back taking games up a ramp.

I am not sure if any Uhaul's have ramps.  Certain Ryder's do though.

Bonus: Games can stand up this way.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
Best I know the 16 and 24 footers have ramps.

Offline RussG

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »
I meant a lift, not a ramp.

My mistake.  Most don't have lifts but have ramps.

Offline micksimmonds

• FREEPLAY FLORIDA 2016 - Bigger, Better ;-)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
We used ramp trucks the first year and it was okay until about the 3rd load, then was becoming a lot less fun, after that went with liftgates, but for one trip a ramp is fine, great idea to team up and help each other on bringing games, even in the smallest truck you can fit a nice load of machines, and between 2, 3 or 4 people then works out cheaper than renting trailers, and that like, they are enclosed, albeit in November we should be okay on lack of rain :D

Enterprise was the best prices I think for us with  the large trucks, but again with mileage work what is best for a group? plenty of parking at venue for large trucks  ;)
FREEPLAY FLORIDA
Check out http://www.freeplayflorida.com and on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/freeplayflorida

Offline windsoreight

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
I use a 26' enclosed trailer with a ramp, It is real easy to load and unload. Just tight in parking lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk