Author Topic: Ah geez! What did I do to this monitor?!  (Read 2212 times)

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Ah geez! What did I do to this monitor?!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
just for giggles, have you tried that monitor with another pcb? do you get the same results?
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »
just for giggles, have you tried that monitor with another pcb? do you get the same results?

No I haven't, but I can try swapping the board from my other Cruis'n into it, if checking the connectors tonight doesn't work. 

A week earlier, I did have it opened up to try to link my two Cruis'n USAs together.  Maybe I messed something else up on the PCB and it manifested later on.  I'll try that out if FUNWIZ's suggestion doesn't pan out.

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
That looks like a sync wire has pulled loose.  Maybe a cap was moved and popped loose, or a pot has opened up, cold solder joint somewhere.

None of the connections are obviously loose and all of the caps seem tight, but it has some very poorly spliced RGB/sync wires.  It looks like at some point in its life, during a monitor repair/replacement, someone cut the wires way too short and had to patch in some short lengths to bridge the gap. Each wire has at least two loose splices wrapped in electrical tape.  This weekend I'm going to try re-splicing them with solder/heat shrinks to make a better connection and swap out the PCB like busa32927 suggested. I'm assuming I don't need to discharge the monitor it to do that?

If all of that fails I'll take halo12 up on his offer to come over and help.

FYI: Last time I turned on the machine, it looked crisp and clear again for about 30 seconds and then went right back to showing like the pictures above.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:58:54 AM by scarabaeus »

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
no need to discharge the monitor for sync wires.  just always be aware of the high voltage line coming from the flyback.  have you tried a different pcb just to make sure you are headed in the right direction?
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »
Now it's beginning to sound like a low voltage failure, such as cap going bad not holding voltage up, or one could be shorting the power keeping it low, then there's the regulator/transistor flaky, loose/bad diode on the bridge, possibly internal shorting of the HVT.  Try fixing the wiring and swap testing, just to make sure. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.