Author Topic: Xenon score counting up when shouldn't after having sound issues for awhile  (Read 532 times)

Offline exxplorer3

• Level 1: Arrival
Hopefully someone has seen this before. Could my sound boards be screwing up my mpu, or is the mpu bad?? I had the sound screwing up (usually the 3rd comment she would make that was messed up), but now the game stops and the score counts up, or the score counts up while playing, the stops and starts again....
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Unplug sound board and play a game, see if it still happens.  If it does, look under the playfield for small caps on the switches.  One is probably bad.  You can cut one leg until you find the one, and replace it later with fresh ones.  Game will play without them.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline exxplorer3

Ok, thanks for the advise. I unplugged the sound card, it still happened, so I turned off/on and now won't start up!!!

Offline FUNWIZ

Don't worry, it's hard to kill it.  With the game off, unplug the lower left connector on the upper left board, cpu, and then gently press in all the socketed chips on the cpu board.  One is probably loose.  That should fix the start up.  GL
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline exxplorer3

I got it to fire up and found the switch causing the problem and I adjusted it. My machine had that problem before and it was the solenoid board, I kept an extra on hand... Thanks for your help Funwiz
I still don't know why the voices screw up she says "welcome to Xenon" just fine (usually) and I can't find sound boards. I'm gonna post to see if someone knows where to find them next

Offline FUNWIZ

Every so often, new replacement boards are made.  You need to be patient to find them.  If you take your sound board out of the machine, and look at the back of the connector pads, usually there are cracks, they need to be resoldered.  If that is ok, then the springs are weak inside the connectors on the sound board or leaving the cpu. Those will need replacing.

Offline exxplorer3

Thanks, did all that already. I need the boards