Author Topic: Beast;s Lair Open House details October 13, 2018  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Ron Donohue

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • My Gameroom
Beast;s Lair Open House details October 13, 2018
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I am trying to make sure everyone has the same info.

I am looking forward to hosting FLiPs  at my home on Saturday, October 13 from noon until 6pm, with a high probability for people to stay and play after the official event (and the IFPA tournament) is over.  As is my norm, this is an open invitation to the broader pinball community, although at some point I may need to control the number.  Last year, we had approximately 90-100 people and it was a bit tight.  So, it is somewhat first-come first-serve, with FLiPs members getting first priority (as it is a FLiPs event).  I do not open the event up with the intention of turning anyone away, but there is some number where it simply will not work.  Hopefully, we will have a nice full (but not too full) house.  It would be a great help if people could RSVP directly to me at rdonohue at hoyt dot org as soon as is practicable.  I use the RSVP system to gauge the food and beverage buying, so it is helpful if everyone let me know how many are coming.  It is easier for me to keep track of things if you use the direct email rather than the Village system    I welcome guests, not everyone has to be a player.  Based on past history, there will be plenty of spouses in attendance.

We are having an IFPA approved tournament this year and everyone is still welcome to play.  If you are worried that you are not a serious player, don't.  Your participation will have no impact on the players who are more concerned about points, unless you beat them.  If you do beat them, good for you.  Perhaps this event will encourage you to jump in on future tournaments.   The IFPA tournament will have 48 spots initially, but we may upsize that if we have interest from more than 48 players.  The format is simple, and will be explained prior to the tournament commencing.  If you do not wish to play in the tournament, you can play any of the non-tournament games.  I ask that all are respectful of the tournament and the time constraints it imposes.  In addition to the IFPA tournament, there will be several mini-tournaments and a kids tournament, with trophies for all tourneys (including IFPA) provided by your host.  I will be paying all IFPA fees, so there will be no entry fees of any kind.

Please reach out to me individually about kids attending.  If our kids do attend, as always you are responsible for keeping an eye on them and keeping them entertained.  I do expect that my kids will be there (along with some guest kids).  This is primarily an outdoor event (with the exception of the game room) so if your child is not good with being outdoors most of the day, this may not be the event for them. I note that my son has asked for, and received, permission to sell popcorn at the event for his Cub Scout troop.   No one is required to purchase, but if you like popcorn, the Trail's End popcorn is pretty good and it provides a lot of support to our local Cub pack.  It is not by any means a value purchase, but most of the money goes to the local Pack.

I will be providing food and drinks, and would really appreciate an RSVP from those who will be attending so that my wife, Jeanne, and I can make sure that no one goes hungry or thirsty.  We will have snack foods, various appetizers and burgers, brats and dogs or barbecue from the grill.  I will have beer, soft drinks, bottled water and fruit juices available.  If you have any particular dietary needs or restrictions, please let me know and we will do our best to accommodate those needs.  If there is something in particular that you enjoy and want to bring for your own consumption or to share with the group, you are free to do so.  I have a  large commercial grill, so we should be fine with getting food out in a timely fashion.  If you bring drinks, you might try to bring a cooler and some ice or another way to keep them cold, as I will fill every cooler and fridge I have with drinks the day before the event and may not have a way to keep your drinks cold.  I will ask that if you wish to recognize 4:20, please do so prior to or after the event, rather than at my place.

Again, the event will start at 12:00 noon at my home and has no defined ending time at the moment. although the end of the formal FLiPs event will most likely be by 8 pm.  We will put out appetizers early and fire up the grill around 1pm/The tournament will start at or around 2 pm and proceed until there is one player left.    The games will not be going away, so folks are welcome to play after the event is over.  If you get there early, it is no big deal but be prepared to be put to work.  I have a crew that routinely shows up to help and they are an invaluable part of the process, particularly the Loxahatchee boys and the Friday set up crew.

My intention is that there will be free play early on in the festivities (all welcome to play), followed by food prior to the tourney starting, then the tourney, and the remainder of the time will be open play on whatever games you choose to play.  There will also be some side tournaments, with the number and character to be determined.   My address is in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, 33418. I will provide an exact address when I reply to the RSVP.  I am heading out of town on Thursday this week and will be back on Sunday, so there may be a slight delay in my acknowledging your RSVP.  I assume that most of you have GPS or the ability to map from your location, but if you want directions, please let me know where you will be coming from and I will be happy to send individual directions.  As a check of your GPS or mapping software, I am just off the Donald Ross Rd. exit on I-95.  If you need to reach me in connection with this event, or get lost on your way up (or down), my cell phone number is (561) three zero eight zero five five six.

My game room is approximately 1,000 square feet and there are 30+ pins available for play at the moment.  There will likely be additional games set up for play in another garage, and there are likely to be a few games available for purchase, as one or two people have asked if they could bring a game for people to see and play and potentially purchase.  If games are made available for sale, I will try to have them listed on this thread,

A partial list of the games that I expect to be there and operational are as follows:

Taxi                                     
Banzai Run                         
Spiderman (Stern)
Attack from Mars
Target Pool                 
Jack in the Box                 
Bullseye Baseball
Paragon                             
Jacks Open                 
Pinbot                                 
Diner
Eight Ball Deluxe             
Terminator 2
Terminator 3                   
Genie
Air Aces                   
Lord of the Rings             
Haunted House             
Addams Family               
Sweethearts                       
Judge Dredd   
Centaur
Elvis     
ACDC                               
Medieval Madness
Royal Flush
Joker Poker
Iron Man
Hurdy Gurdy

I may be missing a game here or there, as I am going from memory. There may be some other pins there, depending on various factors.  Also available will be one or two skeeball machines, a shuffle bowler, a claw machine, an EM Gun Game, Ms. PacMan Galaga Reunion, two Megatouch games and the manikin EM Baseball Game called Batting Practice (if I get it fixed in time), plus a pitch and bat machine.  There will also be a couple of 30's games from Jeff in Vero. I note that there are usually at least one or two surprise new or unique games brought in for the event. I would expect Curly to bring the newest Stern and other friends to bring a special or rare title.  I expect that to be the case for this event, but there are no guarantees at this point in time.  When I know the guest games, I will let you know.

I have about 2 acres, so parking is not an issue, although you may be required to park on grass or at a modest distance from my home.  Let me know the count and names when you RSVP.  I need to know the full name of anyone planning on playing in the tournament, so the names can be put into the software in advance.  That saves a lot of time.  Again, if things get too big, I reserve the right to cut off guests and/or non-FLiPs members.  Once you have RSVP’d for a guest and I have replied, they are in and the invitation will not be retracted.  So, this is an incentive for you to RSVP as early as possible.  Clearly, we have some events where quarters are a bit tighter, but we should take advantage of the larger space for this event.  There will be enough games and enough space that some causal players should not impede the tournament.

So, please let me know, via email , if you plan to attend or will be unable to attend as soon as possible.  Your cooperation in this regard is greatly appreciated.  Also, if you can make it, but not until later than the approved starting time, please let me know.   

If you figure out you can make it at the last minute, you are still welcome. You might miss the tournament, but you will still be able to play plenty of pinball, shoot the breeze with friends and put on the feed bags.  Again, just let me know you are coming.

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Ron Donohue

• My Gameroom
Re: Beast;s Lair Open House details October 13, 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
First guest game announcement........

Total Nuclear Annihilation

courtesy of Sebastian Bobbio

Offline Greywolf

• Show Organizer
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
    • Free Play Services
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
Dibbs on the futon!
72 Pins, 43 Vids, 3 EM gun games, Coke Vendo 110, Rowe & Rockola jukeboxes, Erie Digger, and 1 novelty redemption piece.

Moving games throughout Florida for the collector community.

Free Play Florida

Offline Ron Donohue

• My Gameroom
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
Dibbs on the futon!

Dibbs acknowledged

Offline VanManDan

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
Put me in Ron, I’ll be making the drive down to the lair !
Current Line up:
AC/DC Pro, Metallica Pro-LED, Flicker EM
Big Brave, Fonzi-Eightball
Ironman

Dan'o

Offline Ron Donohue

• My Gameroom
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:16:38 AM »
Announcing two new guest games...

Beacon (1934)
Airway (1933)

Thanks to Jeff Smith for providing these two mechanical marvels of a bygone age.

Offline Turboderf

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »
Dibbs on the futon!

is that AM or PM sir
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:09:31 PM by Turboderf »
Pins: ~ Aero Smith Pro ~ Revenge From Mars ~ Walking Dead Pro ~ Star Trek Pro ~ Flintstone ~ Gilligan's Island ~ No Fear ~ Junk Yard ~ Fish Tales ~ Monopoly ~ 4 Sale Satin Doll ~

4 Sale Pin: ? Stain Doll

Past Pins: Road Kings ~ 8 Ball - Shaq Attaq ~ World Challenge Soccer ~ Tales from the Crypt ~ World Cup Soccer 94 ~ Pinball Pool ~ F-14 ~
Black Water 100 ~ Rawhide ~ Stardust ~ Elvira and The Party Monster ~ Spider Man ~

Arcade: Arcade Legends ~
 Custom Built Multicade 60-1 ~

Past: 3 Slots: Gamera - Big Chance - Snow King

Offline Cigboat

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
I all in Ron..... Looking forward to this event... I call dibbs on the cott under 1 of your machines.... LOL

Offline BigMatt

• There is no spoon
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »
Nice list ron, sounds like fun i may just ride up with david this year and play in the tourney.
Golden screwdriver recipient.

Offline Ron Donohue

• My Gameroom
Re: Beast;s Lair Open House details October 13, 2018 (UPDATED)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
Great to hear that our friends from the Asylum will be making it over

New Guest Game Announcement 

Curly from Little Shop of Games will be bringing DEADPOOL.  He also asked me to let folks know he has some space left in his vehicle if they would like to buy a new game and save a drive.  If you are interested, call Curly at Little Shop of Games.

Offline wolowizard

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 04:51:24 PM »
This party,  eerr, I mean "Event" is going to be awesome.  Looking forward to the big tourney and great BBQ.  If I can bring something , please let me know.  Chuck
current pins:   Rush prem, TMNT prem , BKSOR prem, JP prem, AV infinity quest prem, IMDN prem, DP prem, Mando Pro, GZ prem...and a Stargate Arcade and a handful of Arcade 1 ups

Offline JeffreyCam

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 05:35:14 PM »
Is it too late to RSVP for this?  I'd be driving down from Orlando, and happy to attend if still room. 
---
"It has to warm up...so it can KILL YOU!"

Offline Turboderf

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »
its going to be fun as always
Pins: ~ Aero Smith Pro ~ Revenge From Mars ~ Walking Dead Pro ~ Star Trek Pro ~ Flintstone ~ Gilligan's Island ~ No Fear ~ Junk Yard ~ Fish Tales ~ Monopoly ~ 4 Sale Satin Doll ~

4 Sale Pin: ? Stain Doll

Past Pins: Road Kings ~ 8 Ball - Shaq Attaq ~ World Challenge Soccer ~ Tales from the Crypt ~ World Cup Soccer 94 ~ Pinball Pool ~ F-14 ~
Black Water 100 ~ Rawhide ~ Stardust ~ Elvira and The Party Monster ~ Spider Man ~

Arcade: Arcade Legends ~
 Custom Built Multicade 60-1 ~

Past: 3 Slots: Gamera - Big Chance - Snow King

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Always very appreciative of the behind the scenes work the Loxahatchee boys do to make this happen.
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline deadlander

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
Ron and Jeanie,
  Many thanks for opening the Liar to the pinball hordes today. Great food, great games, great competition, great friends to spend an afternoon with! Your hospitality is impressive and much appreciated. Thanks so much for inviting us we had great time see everyone at Freeplay! 
PS whoever made the oatmeal chocolate cookies hit it out of the park! They were amazing! Thanks again!
Respectfully,
Al and Julia.
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.