Author Topic: TiltAudio sound card  (Read 296 times)

Offline hawknole

• Level 6: Knight Industries
  • Super Jackpot!
TiltAudio sound card
« on: August 17, 2021, 11:51:43 PM »
I realize this Tilt Audio DIY sound card has been around for a while.  I finally got a chance to investigate.  Stefan in Germany developed but stopped shipping to the US.  I had Charlie at Slap Save Creations assemble one for me, $140 shipped.  Then it needs a Raspberry Pi, about $50 shipped.  Add a micro sd card and license for another $20; $210 total. You need to buy the license from Stefan to eliminate the annoying trial audio reminders.  PinSound boards have gone up, so they are now over $400 before shipping.

Basically, this TiltAudio card is similar to a Pinsound, you can put your own mix on it and it will output in stereo 2.1.  I have done PinSound mixes before and am familiar but this step could be a bear.  Rewiring the speakers is required, new speakers optional.  Since it is a Rasp Pi it has a bluetooth option and a couple other audio output options.  It also has a Wifi IP with a Web UI so you can connect remotely, for me that was needed to complete the setup in my Getaway, it thought the machine was a Data East so I had to set to WPC.  You can also play the sound files and adjust them via the Web UI, which I am still learning about and seems like some nice functionality.

With the used WPC cards rising in price, this is a decent option.  I am still testing for overall reliability and stability.  I figured I would share my experience.  And no, I will not build you one, you can do it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:28:52 AM by hawknole »

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
Re: TiltAudio sound card
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »
As a follow up to the mixes, some sound packs are available from altsound.vpin24.com

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 12:54:48 PM »
As an update, it does appear that the Web UI compatibility is inconsistent & I cannot recommend it’s use at this time.  Manually updating files with the card inserted in the laptop works.

Sound card is working in my Getaway with custom sound files.

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »
Pic with Raspberry Pi…

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »
As an additional follow up, the software provided by Stefan is flaky.  This is after months of testing and trial and error.  The main concern is everything works fine when not licensed, but apply a license, which you have to pay for, and functionality goes away.  I have reached out to Stefan several times and he basically stopped replying after the first time where he implied it must be something I am doing wrong.  I have, however, provided him with solid examples of the iterations I went through in testing, again months & hours swapping out 3 different cards with 3 different pi’s and every possible combination to prove that the software is the problem.  As of the latest release of his software, there is no indication that this was addressed or resolved.

Bottom line, it might be OK for audio but with all the variables and part of it being DIY and another piece being pay for license, I just cannot endorse this TiltAudio product.  Just buy a PinSound card.

As an aside, I have spent many many hours on the PinSound audio card as well.  I could discuss for hours, most people would lose interest in 10 seconds.  If you want to make your own PinSound mix feel free to reach out.  I think it is highly rewarding and a step towards 2.0, well maybe 1.5.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 02:51:40 PM by hawknole »

Offline Weeze

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 09:28:30 AM »
 My friend Hawkmole is Wicked Smaart!
Current Pins and Stuff: Eight Ball Deluxe, Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Batter Up, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade:AK47 and Hawknole's Dog

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 10:21:24 PM »
Nah but thanks.  It is more like George Carlin used to say, “Let’s see what we can F#@% with next”