Author Topic: 2013 Ford Fusion Head Gasket Repair  (Read 700 times)

Offline dug

• Show Organizer
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
2013 Ford Fusion Head Gasket Repair
« on: December 19, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »
I have a 2013 Fusion with the 1.6 turbo engine and it looks like it has a bad head gasket.  Apparently this engine is known to have that issue around 70,000+ miles.  It's losing coolant and nothing is leaking anywhere that I can see and the oil doesn't look right so I'm thinking it is the gasket and not a leak.  I talked to a reputable engine shop and his book had the job at about 17 hours, so a bit over $3,000 for them to do the job.  I'm not sure I want to put that kind of money in the car or not so I thought I would check here to see if anyone had any ideas for more affordable options. 

Part of the issue is the car has a rebuilt title.  I bought it from Copart so I could learn/practice body work and did all the body repairs and got it back on the road (I attached before and after pictures.)  Being rebuilt it already is worth less and while I really like the car, and it drives great when working (I put about 10,000 miles on before the engine issue) I'm not sure how much more I want to invest.  I'm thinking about just listing it on ebay as a mechanic's special with a decent starting bid and see what happens.     
WTB: Eight Ball Deluxe, The Getaway - HSII, Qbert,

Jacksonville Arcade Expo - www.jaxarcadex.com

How come you never see the headline “Psychic Wins Lottery”?

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: 2013 Ford Fusion Head Gasket Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 08:18:06 AM »
first of all, impressive repair work :)

used cars are still pulling crazy values. sell it off at webuyanycar.com or carmax. copart will give you no money. your catalytic converter is an $800 sales credit by itself. ;)

good friend john did a head gasket in my crx. i helped (mostly watched to learn...i would tackle that myself next time). but most head gasket jobs SUCK to even attempt.

village crew, i'll throw this out there...put a can of bar's leak head gasket fix in it.

it's hit or miss. laugh all you want: i've put this into a 2005 civic, and it didn't work at all. but, i ended up selling that car for more than i paid for it.

i put this in a 2001 honda accord 4 banger that i grabbed from an auction. holy crap, it worked. and it didn't just "work". my wife drove that car after the bar's leak, and we
put 200,000+ miles on it AFTER the bar's leak.

it's pretty cheap at walmart (@ $26 bucks).

if you are losing coolant out of the exhaust, this stuff has a chance. if you have bubbles coming out where your radiator fill cap is located, less likely for success, but can still seal the issues.

yes, it can block other thing you don't want it to, like tiny coolant hoses, the radiator, the water pump, other passages...but hey...damm car doesn't drive for more than 10 minutes now, so who cares? :)

there's no such thing as a pour-in fix. maybe i got lucky...3 times, 3 different vehicles. counter argument...i've put it in 3 other vehicles, no dice.

it's the 1 in the picture. they have other versions, they are trash.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline Weeze

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 02:15:12 PM »
does the oil have ANY sign of water? color a odd looking brown.
Cant locate the leak could very well be a leak inside where the coolant is leaking into the coolant channels somewhere. If thats true sell it to K7. As much as I totally believe his tale of insta-fix I must think that he got lucky on the repair. you might win 5k on a scratch off lottery ticket and people DO win, but counting on it happening is....nah.
 Good luck tho, I hope you find a cheap fix.
Merry CHristmas to all but the French.
Current Pins and Stuff: Eight Ball Deluxe, Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Batter Up, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade:AK47 and Hawknole's Dog

Offline littlewest

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • I feel old...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 11:07:33 AM »
Don't have anything to add as far as head gasket, However, Body work looks killer!
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘