Author Topic: Tablet Kids II: The Growing Divide  (Read 1601 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Tablet Kids II: The Growing Divide
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
I recently had a conversation with my wife about how different my friends kids are - one is a tablet kid and one is not.  They do not have any disabilities, it’s just a personality or lack there of.   Tablet kid loves his nuggets.

It's weird that nuggets and tablet kids go together.. but i suspect it's the same root cause -- the parents.

I mean hell chicken nuggers weren't a thing when I was little but I can see how kids would like them and if the parents just let them eat nuggets 24/7 you get that part, and that same sort of parenting also allows them to sit on the tablets.

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 12:54:34 PM »
They're just the next generation of IT guys and arcade/pinball collectors.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline Davesdewas

• Level 0: Inanimate Carbon Rod
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 01:29:25 AM »
One day these "snowflake" kids are gonna be dumped in the real world to fend for themselves and are gonna get eaten alive.
hellodear.in

tea tv

Offline MilitiaMan

• Show Organizer
  • www.jaxarcadex.com
    • Jacksonville Arcade Expo
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 12:05:33 PM »
This is hilarious. While some of the observations are an accurate depiction of life in today's world, the fact is that every human on earth is an individual - almost all of them are going to "figure it out" at some point and go on to live well-adjusted, normal lives.

The funniest thing is ... if the internet was around in 1983, I guarantee our own parents would have likely been in a chatroom somewhere complaining that children of that era only played Atari and ate Macaroni & Cheese. To this day, I still give my Dad a hard time for calling me a "vidiot" whenever I wanted to go to the arcade or waste an entire day playing Adventure on the 2600 - somehow that early love of video games translated into a decent IT career and an "almost" well-adjusted human.

Steve
MM
Current Barn Want List: Quantum, Timber, Star Castle, Zookeeper, Congo Bongo, Journey, Black Widow, Warlords C/T, Williams Duramold, Nibbler or Eyes.

Hit me up if you have any of these for sale, complete, project, or otherwise.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 01:25:01 PM »

The funniest thing is ... if the internet was around in 1983, I guarantee our own parents would have likely been in a chatroom somewhere complaining that children of that era only played Atari and ate Macaroni & Cheese. To this day, I still give my Dad a hard time for calling me a "vidiot" whenever I wanted to go to the arcade or waste an entire day playing Adventure on the 2600 - somehow that early love of video games translated into a decent IT career and an "almost" well-adjusted human.

Steve
MM

Funny!   I love the "almost" well adjusted line.   ;)
Aren't we all!? :o :roll:
I remember the same thing about my Dad giving me a hard time for wanting to waste $5 on video games going to the arcade.
That seems like wholesome goodness at this point in time doesn't it?
My Dad's not around any more but he was very proud of me and my amassed pin and arcade collection later and all my restorations.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 02:04:30 PM »

I dunno man playing video games back in the 80s is a lot different than being glued to a screen 24/7. I never saw a kid rip out an Atari 2600 and play it through dinner at Bennigans.

We'll see if these kids 'grow out of it' but it's not looking so hot for some of them.

Offline k7

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 10:56:26 PM »
screw being well adjusted. it's the "slightly off" personalities that make life entertaining, and makes for good friends. :)

and i just bought myself a little handheld game that plays most stuff up to ps1 smoothly.

also bought my son a car. that i'll drive for the short term. he's going to be a better driver than i am, guaranteed. i'm vengeful.

my son had chicken nuggets tonight. and i grabbed a few. so we're doomed :P

WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline MilitiaMan

• Show Organizer
  • www.jaxarcadex.com
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 09:53:12 AM »
also bought my son a car.

Your son is almost old enough to drive?

Good god ... it's been a long time since we've hung out.  :-\

Time flies when you're having fun!!!!

Steve
MM
Current Barn Want List: Quantum, Timber, Star Castle, Zookeeper, Congo Bongo, Journey, Black Widow, Warlords C/T, Williams Duramold, Nibbler or Eyes.

Offline MilitiaMan

• Show Organizer
  • www.jaxarcadex.com
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 10:00:07 AM »
I never saw a kid rip out an Atari 2600 and play it through dinner at Bennigans.

That's only because the technology didn't exist. LOL

I can't tell you how many times I requested to go to dinner at this one specific restaurant because they had a cocktail Phoenix. I would literally play it the entire time we were there with the short exception of the 6 minutes it took me to wolf down my chicken tenders and fries (because nuggets weren't a thing yet).  :-)

I'm not arguing the points made earlier in this thread. There will definitely be some social damage resulting from kids unable to tear themselves away from their screens. I'm merely saying that kids (and parents) today are not that different from kids 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, or 30 years ago. The technology has certainly changed, making these diversions far more accessible.

And lazy parenting will always be lazy parenting - it just looks different today. How is MOM going to keep her kids off the tablet when she hasn't put down her own phone in 10 hours from checking how many likes her last Facebook post received?

Steve
MM

Offline k7

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2022, 04:37:37 PM »
Your son is almost old enough to drive?

Good god ... it's been a long time since we've hung out.  :-\

Time flies when you're having fun!!!!

Steve
MM

i know. right? i'm going to make HIM drive to the next arcade event. :P

That's only because the technology didn't exist. LOL

I can't tell you how many times I requested to go to dinner at this one specific restaurant because they had a cocktail Phoenix. I would literally play it the entire time we were there with the short exception of the 6 minutes it took me to wolf down my chicken tenders and fries (because nuggets weren't a thing yet).  :-)

very valid points. when i was a kid and could go to chuck e cheese, i dind't have time to eat the pizza. it was all dig dug and elevator action.

i used to bike to the boca mall, hide my bike in the bushes, and hit their arcade for hours. 4 mile bike ride one way. i was 11. all statistics say i
should be dead. :P

WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »

very valid points. when i was a kid and could go to chuck e cheese, i dind't have time to eat the pizza. it was all dig dug and elevator action.

i used to bike to the boca mall, hide my bike in the bushes, and hit their arcade for hours. 4 mile bike ride one way. i was 11. all statistics say i
should be dead. :P

Who says you're not!?   ??? :roll:

I could be talking to Zombie Klassic on here typing all day.  Last I saw you was years ago it seems! 
 :o ;D