Author Topic: Morbius is awful  (Read 375 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Morbius is awful
« on: April 01, 2022, 09:46:39 AM »
Yeah I know, I know.. but we do a movie a week. This week it was unfortunately Morbius.

I expected it to be bad but this was just inept.

First off there's no real story. Somebody apparently wrote down "Morbius and his childhood friend become vampires and fight" and that's what they started filming with. I'm not kidding, there's nothing more than that. Why do they fight? Unknown. What are the extent of their powers? Unknown. Do any of them have any real motivation for doing what they do? Not that we can see. Even in the finale Morbius makes a serum designed to kill vampires (spoiler?) but they never set up what harms vampires so why doesn't he just shoot Matt Smith? We don't know.. the screenwriters didn't know.. nobody knows.

At least in Venom as stupid as it was there was a feeble attempt at a plot.. but not so here. You also had the Tom Hardy venom stuff which was amusing at times.. instead in this film you have Jared Leto doing a boring non-descript performance that is instantly forgettable. Matt Smith tries to do something with his part but with the script the way it is.. he can only do so much.. plus is Matt Smith ever really menacing?

This is another shockingly bad film. One that should have been vetod long before hundreds of millions of dollars got dumped into it. Had someone turned in this script in a Junior College scriptwriting class I can only imagine it would have come back as 'incomplete'. Even the fight scenes are just stupid blurry CGI messes.

Easily the worst amongst the Sony Spider-Man films and that's saying something.

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Morbius is awful
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 12:18:19 PM »
The trailers looked so bad to me but I have a friend that is already bugging me to go see it.

It didn't look good at all.  And I am not a fan in the least of Leto.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »
I like how it never occurs to them to check "Hey, did the comic this was based on sell well?".

Offline PinPup

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 01:43:46 AM »
Wanted to see this, looked different, but this is getting ripped everywhere! I might bother if it shows up for free on the tube. Nice take.
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 08:04:23 PM »
I like how it never occurs to them to check "Hey, did the comic this was based on sell well?".

Sony is stuck using whatever characters cam with the "Spider-Man' rights.. but the funny thing is obviously they have some agreement with Marvel to not use the Tom Holland Spider-Man outside of the Marvel/Sony movies..

.. so that means you get D-List characters like Morbius who were only interesting when they were fighting Spider-Man but without any actual Spider-Man.

I think it might have been possible to make a decent Morbius flick but it would have to be an R-Rated noir genre piece with more horror overtones but clearly that wasn't going to happen.

Offline littlewest

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • I feel old...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
I'll be the one on the outside on this one. I don't think it was the greatest flick in the world or the makings of a cult classic or anything like that. It almost seems like the hatred of Leto bleed into the disliking of this movie.

I read your review before I went and saw it (in 4dx) and I wasn't expecting a plot. which is good because there wasn't one. Character Development was almost nonexistent, with the exception of the Antagonist. But even that wasn't super involved. It definitely could have been better, but to call it awful seems undeserved. The special effects were nice, and the movie moved along nicely. Fight scene, flashback, Fight scene, dialogue, action scene, so on and so forth. It wasn't a stale over-the-shoulder view of a superhero throughout his linear timeline of day. Similar to slumdog millionaire, except the whole story isn't based on flashbacks. I dislike the Avengers movies because they seem to drag along

I found this movie likable for the reason it was different. It wasn't a drawn-out 15 part movie series. It's not a drama that goes on and on and on, leaving us waiting for the next movie. Knowing Morbius is a D-list character why would they put unlimited effort into the movie?
I give it a 7 out of 10. It's absolutely worth the watch, but be realistic with your expectations. People didn't read comic books for drama and deep stories. They read comic books because they had art and were easy to read. Violence.
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 12:22:33 PM »
I read your review before I went and saw it (in 4dx) and I wasn't expecting a plot. which is good because there wasn't one. Character Development was almost nonexistent, with the exception of the Antagonist. But even that wasn't super involved. It definitely could have been better, but to call it awful seems undeserved.

Knowing Morbius is a D-list character why would they put unlimited effort into the movie?

I give it a 7 out of 10.

No plot, no character development.. 7/10 lol

I dunno man if you liked it that's great but that movie was very, very poorly made.

And any movie worth making is worth making well so that's definitely no excuse. (and I wasn't expecting much either, but was expecting the bare minimum like say.. a plot)