Author Topic: EBD shutdown during play any ideas please?  (Read 785 times)

Offline djude

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
EBD shutdown during play any ideas please?
« on: April 29, 2022, 06:36:51 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have an EBD that shuts down in the middle of play then resets and goes back to attract mode.  If I start a game it will play for a bit, then flips go dead, displays go out and all lights other than GI go out.  Then it will act as though you just powered it on and seem to reset.  If you start a game and don't launch a ball it will do the above and then shut down again if you don't launch the ball, then proceed to repeat this over and over.  I've tried the standard plugging and unplugging connectors, looking for switches that may have a short, but my tech level pretty much maxes out past that.   It used to happen only intermittently, (you could play several games before it would happen).  Now it happens within seconds of starting a game.   I've included a link to a video I made of this happening on YouTube here:

https://youtube.com/shorts/DJemb1a2f38?feature=share

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Present....Countdown, CCR, BBH, NGG, EBD, DILE...
Past. others...

Offline DK

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Account retired
Re: EBD shutdown during play any ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 06:57:10 PM »
See if there’s a stuck quarter

Offline DK

• Account retired
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 06:57:56 PM »
I’ve seen classic Ballys reset at times when the coin switch is stuck closed

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:46:57 PM »
after coin slots, i'm guessing shot MPU, or dirty upper left connection to the MPU (J4). that connector feeds the 5 volts to the MPU.

J4 is the only harness you need hooked up to make sure the LED on the MPU flashes 7 times after the preflash. it obviously boots.  but resets.

i counted to 7 watching your video of the reboot. ;D

WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 10:30:50 AM »
Start a game, wait 20 seconds and flip both flippers together 10 times. If it resets, flip one flipper again 15 times, then flip the other flipper 15 times. Report back. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline djude

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 01:43:55 PM »
Thanks Guys.   So, started with the coin slots and nothing there.  Worked the switches several times on each slot as well as the solenoid on the door.  Next went to the MPU, which on start up has no LED light up or flash at all.  When game is on that LED does not light at all.  I took off the J4 connector from the light board, (because that was the only J4 connector I could find and then replaced it after cleaning the contacts.  Since what it is doing resembles a tilt, albeit without the tilt light I messed with the tilt bob to see if that would replicate it. I couldn't get the machine to tilt with the tilt bob.  Which seemed strange, given that it looks to be wired.  I could get it to alarm by hitting the slam switches, but not the tilt bob.   Jeff, next I restarted the machine and hit the flippers 10 times and nothing happened.   

From this point forward, it has not shut down and I've played maybe 5 games...   So, either unplugging and plugging J4, messing with the coin mechs, or...... hitting the flippers simultaneously 10 times...  Seems to have fixed it... for now.   

That being said, no LED on the MPU, and no ability to tilt, both are on the table now.   

Any ideas on those ?

Thanks again guys.  Truly appreciate your help.
Past. others...

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 04:47:16 PM »
The LEDs basically a lightbulb and it has a resistor and then connects to the MPU reset. Check to see if the resistor is OK, good solder connection, then replace the LED if you don’t find anything.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 08:45:13 PM »
From this point forward, it has not shut down and I've played maybe 5 games...   So, either unplugging and plugging J4, messing with the coin mechs, or...... hitting the flippers simultaneously 10 times...  Seems to have fixed it... for now.   

it did not. J4 on the lamp driver has no cause/effect for your issues. :P

That being said, no LED on the MPU, and no ability to tilt, both are on the table now.   

dammit. Lower left on the MPU is J4. i mistenly wrote "upper left"

you have to watch the MPU LED when you boot the machine. J4 is on the stock MPU, and on alltek MPUs as well.

if you have an aftermarket MPU, it's the lower left harness...work on that.

no light when you power the game up, means no 5 volt going to the MPU.

check fuses on the power module, and you can wiggle MPU J4 to see if you get an LED flash.

i have no idea how you know TILT has an issue if the game isn't even booting up? but running with that
little piece of knowledge, you should remove the ball from the tilt mechanism. you might be getting bad
5volt feedback from corrosion. all a guess, but you have a tilt issue AND you're resetting.

if you slap both flippers and it resets, change outlets and do not run 8 ball on a surge protector. legit issues
i dealt with on a twilight zone. it would reset, on flipper slap, only from 1 outlet in my home. :-\

if it always resets when you trigger a specific flipper (lower left, upper left, lower right), bad diode on the suspect flipper coil.

this is difficult without standing in front of it. in the end, it's going to end up being simple. ;D

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 01:04:35 AM »
K7, reread what he wrote. Game board is functioning fine, the LED is burned out, bad connection going to Q2 collector, or the R29 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor is open or has a bad solder connection. 
Sounds like the tilt wires have a bad connection on the lower right side of the CPU board at connector A4J3 pin 2 red/yellow and A4J3 pin 15 blue/orange, a little cleaning on the connector should solve that problem.

Offline djude

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 10:16:49 AM »
Ok...  something that you guys suggested first., ie... that I didn't understand worked.. for a while.  I pulled the J4 connector off of the left of the light board which is right below the MPU board on the left side of the back cab.  I also messed with the coin mechs and solenoid.   After doing those the game played flawlessly for at least 10 games, then late last night middle of a game it did it again.  It acts like its tilting, (without any nudging) ie. flippers go dead and insert lights go out, GI stays on and game reboots.  I've never had a problem with it booting up and playing, just it stopping mid game and resetting.  Will look at MPU again for J4? and the fuses, but would it play fine for a while if a fuse was bad?  Also, gonna take some pics of boards so maybe you can point out the various items in question.  Thanks Guys.
Past. others...

Offline k7

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 12:33:26 PM »
Ok...  something that you guys suggested first., ie... that I didn't understand worked.. for a while.  I pulled the J4 connector off of the left of the light board which is right below the MPU board on the left side of the back cab.  I also messed with the coin mechs and solenoid.   After doing those the game played flawlessly for at least 10 games, then late last night middle of a game it did it again.  It acts like its tilting, (without any nudging) ie. flippers go dead and insert lights go out, GI stays on and game reboots.  I've never had a problem with it booting up and playing, just it stopping mid game and resetting.  Will look at MPU again for J4? and the fuses, but would it play fine for a while if a fuse was bad?  Also, gonna take some pics of boards so maybe you can point out the various items in question.  Thanks Guys.

that's not a "tilt". your game is resetting, and i think your 5 volt feed is bad. if it resets when you touch a flipper, there's your issue (bad diode, EOS switch maladjusted). funwiz was testing for that.

in your video, you hit a flipper and the game resets. has nothing to do with the tilt.

tilts will not shut off your displays.

j4, on the mpu, is the lower left harness. clean that. the lamp driver has nothing to do with your issues.

i've never had a cooked LED on a stock bally MPU. that's the only reason i'm questioning that one. :)

your fuse should be fine. but something is making you lose +5 volts. 4.80ish volts to the MPU for 1 second, and your game will reset.

i have seen fuses test good, take a bit of heat when placed back inline, and separate. rare...but happens.

put a video up of the full MPU board, as you power the machine up.

you "might" have a bad flipper diode (but if that was true, it should reset on EVERY flipper slap)

you've got a random issue. those suck :P are you on a surge protector?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 12:35:56 PM by k7 »

Offline k7

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 12:42:56 PM »
K7, reread what he wrote. Game board is functioning fine, the LED is burned out, bad connection going to Q2 collector, or the R29 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor is open or has a bad solder connection. 
Sounds like the tilt wires have a bad connection on the lower right side of the CPU board at connector A4J3 pin 2 red/yellow and A4J3 pin 15 blue/orange, a little cleaning on the connector should solve that problem.

his game is resetting the MPU every time it goes feature-light dark and dies mid-game.

i want to see a video of the MPU booting up cold.

i don't care about the tilt bob until that 5 volt issue gets fixed. ;D

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 02:41:58 PM »
Open the door, push the test button until it runs to the solenoid driver test. Let it run through the solenoid driver test three or four times and note anything that does not pop click or flash. Get back soon…

Offline djude

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 03:48:14 PM »
Ok.  Reseated J4 on MPU, after I found it... previous owner put stickers over label...  It started shutting down immediately and kept cycling.  would restart, then flippers and displays would go out.   I reseated the J2 connector and now it's working again, could J2 be an issue?   Here's a video of the MPU at start up.  No LED at all.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5DcDPDrQBGY?feature=share

and a close up video of LED on MPU at start up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Y4GJi8btiTQ?feature=share

Oh... I switched. the outlet before above.

will do the solenoid test next.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 03:51:18 PM by djude »
Past. others...

Offline k7

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 03:55:38 PM »
dead green MPU LED. that's a first for me :)

so you touched J4, and the machine behaves worst. i think you've found your issue.

clean the harness at J4 (soak it in alcohol). that should help where you're losing the 5 volts.

everything else about flippers causing the reset, follow up from above info.

i still think you have a dirty +5 volts, and it's not clean getting throughout your MPU. happens in 40 year old Ballys.

might think about alltek-ing that game. ;D