Author Topic: EBD shutdown during play any ideas please?  (Read 750 times)

Offline djude

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: EBD shutdown during play any ideas please?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanks K7 I'll try the soak. 

Jeff I did the solenoid test and the first couple of times 2 of the pop bumpers fired at the same time.  Then by the third time through they each fired on their own.  That is the only thing that stuck out...
Present....Countdown, TZ, BBH, NGG, EBD, DILE...
Past. others...

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »
If you’re using the original board?, I haven’t seen pictures I don’t know what you’re using, make sure the grounding screws are in the corner. You could have loss of ground at pins 18/19 on J4.  FYI- +5vdc at 16/17, 11.9vdc at pin 2, and 43vdc at pin 15. Take a flashlight and look inside the connector at J4 and see if you have any dirty connectors or corrosion, possibly a broken spring clip. All those connections probably need to be re-pinned with the newer tri connectors, that grabs the pins on three sides and not just one.  If that still doesn’t help then you have a cold solder joint on the backside of the board. Just re-solder all the pins.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline djude

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 08:07:06 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I will check those next and let you know.   I wasn't aware about the voltage drop causing a reset.  No doubt that could be it, as K7 said.. on a 40 year old game.....  And, yes, these are the original boards, no Rotten Dog etc. 
Past. others...

Offline djude

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 01:22:34 PM »
Sorry for the long delay.   I cleaned the connector and pins on the J4 plug.  Tested voltage at pin 2 you said it should be 11.9vdc and I got 4.96vdc. at pin 15 you said 43vdc and I show 45.5 vdc, and at 16 and 17 you said +5vdc and I show 5.08 vdc on both.   

this is assuming I tested it correctly with the MM...  board appears to be screwed to the grounds on the bottom 2 screws.  Not sure how to spot a cold solder joint, and when you said to resolder the pins... did you mean the entire board? 

Past. others...

Offline k7

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 04:13:18 PM »
if you don't get an answer, i'll take voltages off the Fireball Klassic i'm working on tomorrow, and will post up.

i'll tilt it too, and report behavior.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 05:28:34 PM »
Retest TP2, so your not seeing 11.9vdc at test point 2, follow it backwards to J4 pin 2 on the MPU board, still no 11.9vdc. Now check J3 pin 10 for at least 11.9vdc on the transformer power supply board. TP3 on power supply should read same 11.9vdc. If low, bad connection at fuse F3 (4A), probably open diode at CR5-CR8. Should read 14.2 VAC coming into the circuit across [Pin 3 and Pin 6] on J6, before it gets fused.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline djude

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 08:07:08 AM »
Ok thanks.  Had to leave for business this week but will do it upon return.  To clarify. When you say TP2 are you talking about the harness connector or the pins on the board.  I checked both and they were 5 Vdc   Will check power supply bd. J3 pin 10 as well as the fuse indicated.  May need help figuring out location of some of these things ie diode mentioned.   Thanks again!
Past. others...

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »
It would help if we could put the pictures on here, but that won’t happen anytime soon. TP2 is labeled with a little wire tiny loop on the circuit boards. It means Test Point. Harness connectors usually start with a J, J4 or J3 as examples. Start at the MPU board and work your way backwards to the power supply. 

Offline k7

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »
pics are easy. he can PM any to me and i'll put them up.

a normal tilt (ball tilt left side, inside cabinet) will kill the ball in play, TILT lights up, nothing happens until the ball hits the outhole. no bonus. onto the next ball-in-play.

a slam tilt (2 of them: inside coin door/under the playfield) causes the entire game to reboot. No TILT message, all lights off except GI, the board does it's 7 LED flashes, then game boots up to GAME OVER.

so gap your coin door slam switch and the playfield slam switch at the very least.

just for info.

Offline k7

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 07:10:28 PM »
so....how's it going? ;D

Offline djude

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 10:25:23 AM »
I'm sorry I've been MIA.  I'm out of state and away from my tables for the next 2 weeks.  As soon as I get back I'll get back up to speed on this and report back what I find.   Thanks again for your help!
Dan
Past. others...

Offline atarijim

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »
I'll chime in. I;m not gonna get out schematics, so loosey goosey on the terminology.

Most of the time, the input connector to the solenoid driver pcb, top right, has the 12 volts from
the transformer rectifier on an orange small gauge wire about 12 pins from the top, in an original
crapass scissor pin and will have a brown burn spot. Lots of times the connector has baked in half,
and I've seen the hack of soldering the wire to the test point lug a few times.

Inspect the top right plug to see if it has a burn spot or the wire has changed color from orange to
brown. This is extremely common. Vibration from the game is causing the 12 vdc to drop and thus the reset.

My standard operating procedure is to ALWAYS re pin this input and the lower left CPU input to
ELIMINATE bad power throughout the game. Lower left cpu also carries the multiplex coil control signals,
so wrong coils firing is also an indication that this connector is toast. Friggin' cheap ass scissor pins Bally
went to (we see this problem in Williams too).

Referring back to multiple pops firing; If the switch contacts are not too close together to cause a vibration
closure, then I would suspect the capacitor across the switch as these caps are also notorious for dumping
their load when they shouldn't, sometimes even shorting and causing a stuck switch condition. These caps are normally
only used on fast touch contacts, ie pops, stand ups, slings to give a signal boost to the cpu. Good practice is to
replace every single one you see and half the time I have seen games with caps with 1 lead clipped already to fix
a closed switch condition.

Just my 2 cents, back to my cave.  aj

Offline Wisefwumyogwave

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • There is no spoon
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2022, 05:37:17 PM »
ive seen EBD reset with and intermittent 5v or 12v whatever it was to the aux lamp board on the light panel. had cracked solder.
Stern insider: BigMatt
its 100%? lol

Offline djude

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2022, 12:18:29 PM »
Well its been a long time..  Sorry but I've been away from my machines for the past 2 months.  I got back and spent a couple of days going over all of your suggestions and trying to implement them.   First off, I pulled the MPU and replaced the LED. it was burned out.  The new one seems to work fine, although I only count 6 flashes upon boot up.  Next I looked for any cold solder joints and tried to re-flow all of the pins that looked suspect at all.  The one that looked the worst was J2 pin 1. I think.  There was a resistor down by the J4 connector (looks like R113) that looked like it had been replaced or desoldered,(poorly) that I reflowed as well.  Doing this seemed to stop the game from resetting mid game.  I played at least 10 games and left it on all day.  I thought I had it, but late in the day during attract mode, I saw it shut down and reset...  When it does this I heard the solenoid on the coin door activate then the displays go dark as well as all insert lights, leaving just GI on.  this lasts a couple of seconds and it starts back up.  It did this several times.  The next day I checked the connectors on the Solenoid board that AtariJim mentioned. Nothing looked cooked on those at all.  Next I pulled the Aux Lamp Bd. as suggested by Wisefwumyogwave..  This board looked like somebody had messed with it before, with multiple questionable solder joints.  I tried to reflow all of the connector posts as well as any others that looked messed with.  I powered it on around 2 yesterday and left it on until Midnight playing games sporadically all day.  No more re-setting.... yet.

So a couple of other things that I noticed... There are no coin mechs in this machine.  they were removed, but the clearing? solenoid  on the coin door that I mentioned above is still there. and seemingly always energized until there are 10 credits on the machine, then it releases.  Does this solenoid need to be hooked up? given that there are no mechs anymore.  Is it possible that it may be part of the problem?   

I also noticed that the 15 Ball insert lamp is out.  The socket seems to be getting power during testing, but no light.  it is on the same circuit as the outlane lights, which is different from all the other pool ball lamps which share a lamp board.  the other lamps on the same circuit (outlane) work fine..

And lastly this game has always had a weird left flipper. Best way I know how to describe is it's kinda rubbery...  Not always, but sometimes during a game a ball hitting an activated flipper will cause it to droop, not necessarily all the way, but definitely noticeable.  Any suggestions on a fix for that would be greatly appreciated. 

Again, I'm sorry it's been so long since I've been able to act on all of your suggestions, I was gone for most of the summer, but I want all of you to know how much I appreciate all your suggestions and help.

Dan
Past. others...

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2022, 07:38:44 PM »
Sounds like at number 15 you have a bad lamp socket, replace it. The coil on the coin door can be cut and tape the wire up as it usually will still have power going to it. It’s no longer necessary, and it can be annoying making a humming sound.  The left flipper sounds like it’s getting old, I would replace the switch contacts on the cabinet and the end of stroke switch on the flipper and also the flipper coil and see if that makes it pop back the way it’s supposed to be. Make sure you get a close gap, but not too much.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:42:27 PM by FUNWIZ »