Author Topic: Under the Glass Pinball Video  (Read 759 times)

Offline Agtoftne

• Level 1: Arrival
  • Don't report this . . . Agents of Fortune.
Under the Glass Pinball Video
« on: July 08, 2022, 06:02:17 PM »
This is my first posted topic.

Just wanted to share a pinball video I made for myself. Not long ago I was talking with my friend Don about the pinball promos that Stern puts out. Many of the camera shots have to have been made with the glass off. No big deal, it is what it is. Don mentioned how cool it would be to actually video pinball game play under the glass.

That idea got my juices flowing so I started honking around with a sports action video camera, kind of a GoPro knockoff, but it's size was perfect for my needs. I spent an entire Saturday afternoon on trying to get just the right camera angles. I mounted a camera on one of my pop bumpers aiming down towards the flippers and really liked that look. Next was videoing from behind the flippers. I was NOT happy with those results. I moved the cameras (both a left and right flipper cam) many times with less than satisfying test shots. At this point I thought I was going to be shooting with 3 cameras under the glass. I then realized what a nightmare it was going to be to try and edit these images into a coherent video resembling real pinball gameplay. I slept on the problem overnight and came to the conclusion I was being just a tad too ambitious.
My solution was simple. Use 1 camera. The only way to use 1 camera was to mount it dead center between the flippers attached to the apron. Now that I had the camera location figured out it was just a matter of attaching the camera at the right angle to get enough flipper action AND playfield in the same image.
At another time I'll get into more detail about what I call my inelegant solution. Bottom line I'm stoked at the images produced.

I make these pinball videos for my own pleasure. Usually I video a few games, edit them with some titles & music and download them to my tablet. The next morning at work waiting for the doors to open, I sit in my car and watch them again. Most of my filming(videoing) I used 2 cameras. A fixed position chest high view shooting down on the playfield and my under the glass flipper cam.
The video I'm sharing today is ONLY from under the glass. This is 1 continuous game lasting almost 34+ minutes. The ending score was irrelevant it was the long gameplay. I got every good bounce, made some clutch saves and used up all my pinball karma on that game. This video is in my dropbox account. You can view it without downloading but they only let you see 15 minutes. The entire video is 34+ minutes. Please feel free to download and or share with friends. All comments are welcome. Depending on how bad you rip me a new one will I post others. Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93q3uulyz38hrkv/After%20Work%20Therapy.mp4?dl=0

Been playing the silver ball for 6+ decades.  Get off my lawn.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Under the Glass Pinball Video
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 11:08:22 AM »
it's ambitious to do that. the concept is great. it's a little blurry, but that should be an easy fix moving forward.

1 suggestion...remove the flasher fuse. it will improve the video results 100%. and avengers is unforgiving, so many
flashers, 6 facing the camera, and they are ALWAYS firing off.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Centaur Brother

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »
I got to say, this Avengers game has been amazing. I Purchased it back in 2013 NIB, it's been to FPF every year since then, 3 years at iPinball and now still in the family with my pinball brother Steve. This game has more than 25k plays on it, works and looks great and nearly problem free. Only minor repairs, simple fixes. All those personal games I've put on it and then to watch the videos that he made gave me new perspective on how fantastic a game it is. Thanks for sharing the video and looking forward to the other views on different cameras.
The Pin Cave

"Keep On Flippin"

Offline Agtoftne

• Level 1: Arrival
  • Don't report this . . . Agents of Fortune.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 04:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I appreciate anyone who took the time to view the video.

At some time in the future I will post another pinball video
shot from a different angle.
Been playing the silver ball for 6+ decades.  Get off my lawn.

Offline bestgplife

• Level 0: Inanimate Carbon Rod
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 01:50:44 AM »
All things in their being are good for something.Thanks.
crypto

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.