Author Topic: WPC95 Backglass tub  (Read 809 times)

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
WPC95 Backglass tub
« on: September 21, 2022, 09:15:55 AM »
And yes it is a "backglass" tub and not a "translight" tub as I'm talking about a NGG and they came with real backglasses  ;D

My NGG backglass tub (the thing that holds all the lights behind the backglass) is a bit yellowed. I have seen people sand them or paint them to refresh them. I would rather not do either if possible. I was looking at trying to retrobrite it like people do when they restore old yellowed computers. I'm just worried about putting this thing in the sun and it warping it as these are basically impossible to find.

So my questions:
  • Anyone here successfully restore one of these? If so what did you do?
  • Do you know what type of plastic the tub is made from?

Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline littlewest

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • I feel old...
Re: WPC95 Backglass tub
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 10:27:12 AM »
Can't help on the point of restoring the tub,
but as far as retrobrighting:
getting a large clear tub to put things in, and using cheap UV Leds works like a charm. Then you don't have to worry about sunspots, or it getting rained on etc. I retro brighted a stohl's beer sign.

I did try to retrobright some old bally white plastic posts and pop bumper caps, but I found they were browned from burning, as opposed to age and sunlight etc.

From what I saw on the 8bit guys video on this, boiling water and peroxide does the best, bu I imagine that's impossible with a backglass tub.

on the off chance you know of retrobrighting, but hadn't seen his video on retrobrighting, he goes over a few different methods. 13:04 is the timestamp for the results side by side.

☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 10:55:55 AM »

From what I saw on the 8bit guys video on this, boiling water and peroxide does the best, bu I imagine that's impossible with a backglass tub.

Yea this thing is too big to reasonably submerge and it would also take several hundred dollars for that much solution. I was thinking of doing the brush on and wrap in plastic but my concern is that it gets too hot and warps in the sun. Would not have that concern if submerged.
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 02:00:33 PM »
 Flitz paste cleans almost everything pinball, including plastic, not sure how it will do on yellowing

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 03:25:00 PM »
that plastic is made from brittle-oleum.

depends on how it's aged...i have one, i can't look at it sideway without it getting a new split in it.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 03:44:09 PM »
that plastic is made from brittle-oleum.

depends on how it's aged...i have one, i can't look at it sideway without it getting a new split in it.

Mines in good shape except for the yellow (yellow/brown around the lights). I'm afraid if I paint it and the paint chips it would look worse. This game is getting a new playfield, plastics and cab decals so the tub looking like ass is really not an option  :P

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 06:17:02 PM »
Retrobrite doesn't remove burn marks, the yellow he has is from the heat of the incandescant bulbs, only options to replace or paint with plastic paint.. but like Klassic said, its made of brittle-oleum.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 06:34:19 PM »
The WPC95 tub is really a poor design, from the bulkiness to the pain with the translite.  If they were cutting costs they could have developed a cheaper better solution.  Williams redesigned the speaker panel for that gen as well and went more generic, maybe a second channel on the ugly plastic speaker panel could have held a light panel?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:41:21 PM by hawknole »

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »
You could probably make a new one out of a sheet of thermoplastic

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9419-50061A

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline k7

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 07:50:35 PM »
they sell tubs, but you have to drill out every single light. we had to do that to a
tales of the arabian nights. the labor and time lost, plain sucks. :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 09:38:17 PM »
they sell tubs, but you have to drill out every single light. we had to do that to a
tales of the arabian nights. the labor and time lost, plain sucks. :)

Where can you get tubs? Williams screwed up on the NGG tub and shifted 2 of the 5 blinkers over 1" so they do not line up with the art on the backglass :P If I did drill my own I could fix that screw up :roll:

Would also like to find a source of the light sockets for the tub. I thought I had the part number, but can't seem to find it now :P Regardless I had no luck finding them.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 09:46:12 PM »
Retrobrite doesn't remove burn marks, the yellow he has is from the heat of the incandescant bulbs, only options to replace or paint with plastic paint.. but like Klassic said, its made of brittle-oleum.

I don't think they are burn marks but I may be wrong. If that's the case paint or sanding would be in the cards:

I did see Bryan Kelly (pinball restorer) sand a tub and Chris from High End Pins paint one. If I have to du one I would probably try sanding first and if that fails the paint.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 05:15:04 AM »
Planetary Pinball makes them occasionally. They have several of the others in stock now, but nothing for NGG.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
Planetary Pinball makes them occasionally. They have several of the others in stock now, but nothing for NGG.

Do you know what they call them so I can search for them? I looked i the parts for TOTAN, MB, (all have tubs) and did not see any of the tubs in their game specific part list.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »
Insert panel. You really have to play with their search area, it’s the worst index search on the Pinball websites! You would think Planetary Pinball would have state of the art, but it’s archaic…

I quickly went in there today and only found one and it was out of stock but there was others when I searched last week.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-9419-50041-REMAKE
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.