Author Topic: Black Adam  (Read 207 times)

Offline PinPup

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Black Adam
« on: October 22, 2022, 03:27:22 PM »
So we saw Black Adam on Thursday, I think one day before the official opening on Friday. From the previews I thought this would be a great movie, with the Rock playing a character perfect for him. He was very good in the roll, the best thing about the entire movie. I found the movie boring, with a cast of uninspiring second rate heroes that were not enacted very well. Sad to say I can't recommend this movie, very disappointing. The teaser at the end may lead to a decent follow up flick but I will wait for it to stream.
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Black Adam
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 05:32:56 PM »
I saw part of an interview where Dwayne Johnson said that Black Adam is the best and most important movie he's ever made.

Then almost immediately saw a review saying that it stinks, then your review verifying that. Oh well.

Offline PinPup

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 08:19:52 PM »
DJ did look good in the role, he did well with what he had to work with. Rest of movie a yawner.
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »
Everything in Black Adam is something you have seen before. Every character, every plot point, every villain and every twist is familiar. In fact the entire formula of the film is straight up Marvel versus something we'd normally see from DC. You know what? That's absolutely fine because the movie is a lot of fun even if it's derivative. It mostly seems to borrow from Black Panther and Shazam the latter of the two makes sense given Black Adams comic books origins although oddly enough the Shazam character is never directly mentioned in this film.

Out of the gate this is an action laden popcorn movie. The story is dumb but never stupid and even though its mostly action sequences strung together it never gets mindless and noisy. I enjoyed the 'Justice Society' characters especially Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate. The movie had a good sense of humor and definitely wasn't 'DC Dark' once again taking a lot from the Marvel action comedy book.

My only major complaint was the film comes to an end at one point and just when you expect the credits to roll.. surprise there's another 30 minute action sequence. Whatever it's a minor complaint.

Overall I enjoyed Black Adam. It was perfectly acceptable and if DC wants to start aping Marvel that's fine as Marvel has been on a slump for the last few years so maybe it's time for DC to finally step up.

Offline PinPup

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 07:51:56 AM »
I think N6 hit it on the head exactly, that there is nothing new in Black Adam that we haven't  seen before. I guess that is why I personally found it boring, maybe I'm  just over saturated with the hero thing. I found something like The Batman much more enjoyable because it was a departure from over saturated special effects.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 06:58:58 PM »
Black Adam hit streaming. I agree with PinPup - overall, not good.

Visually I thought it was pretty OK, particularly for a DC movie.

Everything else, bleh. Characterization was the main problem.

Black Adam was just bland, he's powerful but that's it. He's not evil really, and not bad enough to be interesting.

Doctor Fate appears to slot in to DC where Doctor Strange fits in Marvel but other than that I don't know anything about him - so deciding that him and the bird guy are old friends with a deep relationship about half way into the movie felt weird, though not nearly as weird as Black Adam saying "I did it for him!" (Dr. Fate) later in the movie - they have no history, they're not even allies.

It just felt slap-dash, thrown together, but the biggest problem is just that Black Adam is a "who cares?" character - and so were all other supers in the movie.