Author Topic: System 11a (F-14 Tomcat) Flashers  (Read 191 times)

Offline galacticgames

• Level 0: Inanimate Carbon Rod
System 11a (F-14 Tomcat) Flashers
« on: November 14, 2022, 06:49:34 PM »
Ok got a issue.  All flashers appear to have blown.  Not knowing this originally I replaced them all and including LEDs on the rest of the machine.  Powered up and no flashers.  It appears they blew again.  So I tested with a 28v LED lamp I had and sure enough full on.  And tested voltage and shows 38v.  On testing this only comes on when "C" side is active.  Also noticed when on testing at AC/Select.  As the relay is energizing the flasher in any base would flash momentarily.   Now it has been showing randomly U10 failure.  This maybe the cause, but will not know till after it is replaced.

Any insiders on this please any ideas to check
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 07:34:35 PM by galacticgames »

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: System 11a (F-14 Tomcat) Flashers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »
Use incandescents bulbs. I think u will have to remove the resistors for the flashers if u leds. The flashers work on 12 volts.  U r getting 38 volts. Do you have a multimeter?
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 08:14:33 PM »
What voltage LEDs are you using on the flashers? The early 11 games used both, and you have to know which one goes where, as I have my games marked clearly so you don’t accidentally put a low voltage bulb in a high voltage area.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline galacticgames

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 09:49:34 PM »
Well the minute I put in a #89 bulb it just burned out.  When I tested the voltage I get 38 volts steady.  Right now I ran out of #89 only have #63 which I know will not work.   I am only using incandescent bulbs for flashers as I know it has issues with LED flashers without modding it.  As for the LED I just used it to test to be sure if it was locked on, but all lamps are all on at 38 volts.  Now when testing it the bulb does a momentary flicker on the corresponding flasher test.

Offline k7

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:56:01 AM »
weird power issue somehow. i think the domes use 28 volt bulbs, but the rest of the game's flashers run at 14 volts max.

if they're locked full on, that's a separate issue. flashers should be flashing.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline galacticgames

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 12:02:54 PM »
I just happen to have a 28 v LED bulb to test to be sure if it was an issue or not.  If I used a regular bulb it just blows.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 11:30:46 AM »
Have pencil and paper ready and run it through a coil test five times. Note any coils that are not functioning correctly. Sounds like you might have a coil shorted or a wire crossed into the matrix that shouldn’t be there. That would cause the voltage to jump across into the flasher section. When the game lights a flasher, it pulses the high voltage quickly to light the bulb.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline galacticgames

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 10:26:50 PM »
I know there is a short on the special solenoid currently and that circuit has a fuse just for that is currently pulled.  Now one thing is flippers and slings are active during attract mode.  I am replacing the U10 PIA 6821.  And the driver chip on special solenoid.  Once that is done I put it back in and do a test.  That won't happen till next week as FREEPLAY Florida is this weekend.