Author Topic: Koala Man, Rick & Morty  (Read 440 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Koala Man, Rick & Morty
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:58 PM »
Koala Man on Hulu is pretty good. Funny and surprisingly complex plots. 8 episodes.
This is from Australian animator Michael Cusak, who also did YOLO: Crystal Fantasy - the 2nd season of that started on Adult Swim recently too, called YOLO: Silver Destiny this season.
Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) does the voice of the town Mayor. Other notable guest stars too.

I'd describe his style as "aggressively Australian". It's not miles away from Justin Roiland's style, and they've both done guest voices in each other's work.

Speaking of Roiland, looks like he went and got himself cancelled;
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/adult-swim-ends-relationship-justin-roiland-domestic-abuse-charges-1235308995/

Somehow the network still thinks they're gonna keep making the show? I mean Roiland voiced both main characters as well as many other minor ones, he did a lot of the writing, the whole show is in his animation/art style, and the improvised episodes like "Interdimensional Cable TV" were mostly based on his rambling improv...

It's like when John Krisfaluci got fired from Ren & Stimpy. Totally justified firing, but the show was garbage ever after.

Offline leewoo

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Koala Man, Rick & Morty
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 08:12:22 AM »
Probably means no sequel to the High on Life video game too  :-\

They gotta know it'd just be stupid to try and continue Rick & Morty without him and just shut the show down now.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 08:40:32 AM »
Yeah I don't see Rick and Morty continuing without him.

He's basically the heart of the show.

It honestly hasn't been that great for awhile. I enjoyed the first few seasons but its bit very hit or miss since then with a few episodes so bad I couldn't even make it through them.

Offline leewoo

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 09:19:16 AM »
Yeah I don't see Rick and Morty continuing without him.

He's basically the heart of the show.

It honestly hasn't been that great for awhile. I enjoyed the first few seasons but its bit very hit or miss since then with a few episodes so bad I couldn't even make it through them.

Yeah, I don't think I made it out of Season 4 before I lost interest.  First few seasons were great though.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 05:36:58 PM »
Probably means no sequel to the High on Life video game too  :-\

They gotta know it'd just be stupid to try and continue Rick & Morty without him and just shut the show down now.

Depends on who owns the rights to the video games I'm sure. Roiland may control those himself, I don't know.

For Rick & Morty, I can see some logical ways they can do it and even explain it away in the context of the show - this is C138 Rick, not C128 Rick (or whatever) - I think it can be done, I just don't give them good odds on succeeding. 1 in 20 chance at best IMO.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 01:37:37 PM »
It doesn't matter how they explain it, it matters if it sucks or not afterwards and chances are it will be even worse given how integral he was to the show.

Apparently his cancellation is complete by the way:

Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites co-creator Justin Roiland has been dropped from the latter series following revelations of a domestic violence charge against him.

Hulu, which airs Solar Opposites, is also removing Roiland from its recently debuted series Koala Man, where he’s an executive producer and voice actor. 20th Television Animation, where Roiland had an overall deal and which produces both series, has also cut ties.

“We have ended our association with Justin Roiland,” Hulu and 20th TV Animation said in a statement.

Ren and Stimpy was a good example, after John K exited didn't the show pretty much die off? I know there were some attempts to revive it but those fizzled as well didn't they? (I honestly don't remember)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 06:27:34 PM »
Ren and Stimpy was a good example, after John K exited didn't the show pretty much die off? I know there were some attempts to revive it but those fizzled as well didn't they? (I honestly don't remember)

It ran for quite a bit afterwards in Nickelodeon.

They tried to revive it on late night cable as an "adult" show and that was even worse and it was with Krisfaluci. This was back when he was only fired for being a diva pain in the ass who could never meet deadlines, and not also a pedo grooming underage fans.

I think there may have been 1 or 2 other revival attempts too, they all sucked.