Author Topic: The Pinball Dudes Tuesday Night Max Match Play #5 - May 9th 2023  (Read 403 times)

Offline LaurenThePurpleDragon

• Level 3: Hologram
  • The Pinball Dudes!
    • Lauren's Twitter
Hi everyone, this is Lauren, your tournament director at The Pinball Dudes!

TUESDAY, MAY 9TH, 2023! The Norma Jennings Special Edition Max Match Play

Join us at The Pinball Dudes for "Max Match Play!" It's 19 head-to-head matches with no set duration, plus a Top 4 playoffs. Only $5 to play a whole night of pinball! [I'll cover your IFPA fees] - cash only please 🙂
Snacks, drinks, and pizza included 😋 *NOTE: Alcohol is not allowed at The Pinball Dudes*
Please try to arrive by 6:45. The tournament starts promptly at 7! 😊 *NOTE: If you wish to enter, please commit to playing the entire event!*
Practice: 5-6:45 pm
Intro and Rules: 6:45-7 pm
Max Match Play: 7 pm until everyone has played 19 games ~ expected to be about 4.5 hours
Finals for the Top 4 only: Group Match Play
The pot is distributed between the top 4 winners, 50%, 25%, 15%, 10% for each winner respective to their position!

Being that May 9th is the day she passed away last year, I wanted to dedicate this one to her.

In memory of Eric "The Eagle" Francis and Norma Jennings
Hi, I'm Lauren!

Junior pinball technician at The Pinball Dudes since 2019

Collection: Taxi 🚕

Eric Francis 🦅 and Norma Jennings 💐
Two pinball champions, forever in my heart

Follow me on Twitter
@LaurenCugliotta
Lauren's Twitter

• The Pinball Dudes!
    • Lauren's Twitter
Re: The Pinball Dudes Tuesday Night Max Match Play #5 - May 9th 2023
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 12:30:41 PM »
Hey everyone,

We received a wonderful donation towards the event from Norma's mom, Carol. We will be putting this donation either towards the pot, or refreshments. This is pending. Thank you so much Carol.

Also, I just wanted to put out there that the last MMP went till 2 am. The ending times of these are unpredictable, but can run VERY LATE. Please keep that in mind.
Hi, I'm Lauren!

Follow me on Twitter
@LaurenCugliotta
Lauren's Twitter

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 12:53:54 PM »
Hi Lauren-

I haven't played in the Max Match Play, but the concept seems similar to flip frenzy with head to head battles except for the fact that everyone must play the same amount of games as opposed to trying to accumulate as many wins in a set timeframe. (That aspect was why people would forfeit games that are so far out of reach as to not waste time chasing a single +1).

With everyone playing 19 head to head games, and then after 19 matches for the top 4 there are 3 four-player games, yes, that could take a "minute or 2" especially if the event starts at 7pm.   

If (and that is the key word here, "IF") you want to reduce the time, I would recommend looking at the last frenzy and analyzing the stats as to why it went so long.  Perhaps there were certain games that are known long playing games and maybe avoid using those. 

I assume extra balls are off?  If not, that could help reduce time.   

Maybe consider changing the position of the outlane posts or simply remove the outlane rubbers (nothing drastic, and of course easily reversible), or turn off the ball savers to shorten the game time.  Everyone would be playing the same game setup, so there is no unfair advantage.  If there are any software changes (such as no ball save), then just post a note on the game saying so.   

Clearly, the quality of the players is another factor and if there are several strong players participating, some matches could be long no matter what game is being played or how it is set up. Nonetheless, I am certain there are some games that play long for almost everyone and even longer when the top players step up.  That would be where I would concentrate.

Again, that is ONLY IF you want to reduce the time factor.  Of course, maybe people don't mind the long event and everything I suggested is moot  :)

Thanks for continuing to run events in South Florida!

-Jeff 
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

• The Pinball Dudes!
    • Lauren's Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 03:52:47 PM »
Hi Jeff!

Thanks for your feedback on it! This last one was definitely a combination of a few factors, with finals games being Doctor Who, Guardians, and Theatre Of Magic. They all, especially Guardians, ran a while. So I might need to look into perhaps removing some games from the finals pool.

I also had lots of really good players, and 20 participants overall.

I think the best modifications would definitely be outlanes and ball-save settings. Extra balls are already long gone  ;D

Your feedback is always much appreciated!!

Hi, I'm Lauren!

Follow me on Twitter
@LaurenCugliotta
Lauren's Twitter

Offline VinceSFL

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 02:17:50 PM »
If (and that is the key word here, "IF") you want to reduce the time....
-Jeff

Hi Jeff, regarding the running time, a big reason it ran late was....THE STONE FACTOR. Eric Stone was there and since he didn't have to be in a hurry (since not a frenzy), if he was player 1, he typically kept his foot on the gas as there was no incentive to stop playing. If he was player 2, he typically needed to only play 2 balls and plunge ball 3. Some other players did same and similarly lagged behind the field in terms of total games played and so that extended the overall qualifying run-time.

Regarding physical game modifications, having been playing in various venues across the state, many of which are relatively new in terms of offering tournaments, it's not practical for many of them including the Pinball Dudes to physically modify games since everything they do, they then have to un-do afterwards. Personally I'm not a fan of making games much more difficult to prevent a minority of players from "blowing up" the games when those game modifications negatively affect the majority of player's experience in the tournament. I'm seeing so many newer players these days that we want to ensure they have an enjoyable experience so they come back or continue playing competitively, and usually that means getting a chance to "play" (meaning having decent ball and/or game times vs flip-drain, house-ball-drain, flip-flip-drain). This is why the Silverball tournament is not a strikes and instead is a pre-determined number of rounds. That's one way to ensure people get to play and make it worth the drive, even if they come from hours away. That said, the more "serious" tournaments like Points Monsters or FPF or even many of the TPL events that attract the top 75 ranked players is a different story, and modifying those games is more standard, expected and to some extent even necessary.

The qualifying time isn't usually what is going super late although obviously it runs later with more rounds and other factors, it's the finals that seem to be running rather long so the majority of players aren't as affected. The Dudes' event the finals alone went close to 2 hours. But most making the finals know what they are in for...a late night anyway.

I like your and Lauren's point relating to games eligible for finals as a TD can elect to reduce the Arenas from what was available in qualifying by eliminating some of the longer playing games from being selected. This can trim some time, maybe 30-60 minutes off the finals depending on players and games.

Perhaps the biggest factor is what I've seen this year more than in the past is a stronger emphasis on WPPRs and TGP. This has caused tournament formats to be adjusted to make events more worthwhile in that regard but also causes them to run longer/later. Just saw that last night at Reboot (I wasn't there but following along), where once they added a finals vs automatic tie breakers/position a few months back to get higher TGP, the events run later and then the Stone Factor was in effect last night so it ran until until 1:30 am or something (of which Finals was probably 2 hours of the total run-time).

As you know, the majority of the 300+ players currently showing in Florida rankings don't care too much about WPPRs. That said, most know I do pay attention to the potential WPPRs and care but frankly, I'd rather see 88% or 96% vs 100% or 104% if the lower TGP is better for the majority of players based on feedback to the TD. If there's no complaints and it doesn't impact turnout, then I'm all for getting full TGP and having whatever amount of rounds or format to accomplish that as it means more play for the players overall as well.

Pins:  WIDE Bodies - Atari Superman, Middle Earth, Space Riders, Atarians, Airborne Avenger, Atari Time 2000, Genie, Stellar Wars, Hot Doggin', Devil's Dare, Future Spa, Embryon, Mars GOW, Star Race, Time Line, Space Invaders, Flight 2000, Paragon. STANDARD - Rush LE, Defender, Eight Ball Champ, Big Deal (EM), Munsters Pro, Medusa, Avengers IQ Pro. VIRTUAL - VP Cabs Wizard.