Author Topic: FLIPS Apr 30 - First round results  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Jozepp

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
  • FLIPS SUPER GROVER #2
    • THE PINBALL GARAGE
FLIPS Apr 30 - First round results
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:05:55 AM »
Had a great time today - just missed getting into the second round. It was really good to see everyone and THANK YOU TO KEVIN for hosting.

SO who won the second rounds and final?
https://www.facebook.com/ThePinballGarage
I do repairs and house calls, restorations,  cabinet paint jobs and touch ups.

Pins:  FREEFALL AAB EM. DIMENSION another great AAB

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
Re: FLIPS Apr 30 - First round results
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »
Lots of stuff to chat about, and it was an awesome turnout and successful event-Thanks Kevin! (the food was really good!-and we can ALWAYS use more Mountain Dew :)

However right now I am flat out tired :)  I will post stats when I get the data from Kevin.  Lots of good competition and there are some talented players in this league.  

Plenty of playing stories to tell :)

Some examples:

Bryan's tourney wizard mode/board score on Scared Stiff compared to your writer making less than 600k.  (Yeah, read that again-the math is right)

Austin Powers toilet multiball dancing-even though no photos, it happened :)

Bribes on not playing Orbitor 1

The 5 minute frenzy with a couple of board scores to report there too.

The 11th hour realization that the garage has overhead lights...Oh wow, look at that.

Yet another Supergrover award...

Some war stories about AFM... :)

Monster has how much go-go juice?

Lots Lots more.

This is why FLiPS is fun :)

Thanks for all that came and supported the event and thank you Kevin once again.

Sincerely,

Jeff

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline RUDTLTE

• Level 3: Hologram
    • TAKE-THE-TIME-COLLECTIBLES
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:37:18 AM »
Another great FLIPS event!  Thanks to Kevin for hosting, to his girlfriend for cooking and putting up with all of us (the meatballs were amazing! :) and to everyone who showed up to make the event competitive and FUN! Hope to see you all again next month.  Bry

If you weren't there you missed:

1) The quote of the event:

"You didn't Rule the universe... you fondled it!"  DIE to Eric

2) The crowning of yet another unique super Grover

3) The stars aligning for me to finally get "Scared Stiff" complete

4) Jeff absolutely "demolishing" Demolition Man (See attached images)

"The way your heart sounds
makes all the difference
It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel
The way your heart beats makes all the difference In Learning to Live
Here before me is my soul I'm Learning to Live"

Offline RUDTLTE

• Level 3: Hologram
    • TAKE-THE-TIME-COLLECTIBLES
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:38:46 AM »
His GC didn't show up in the previous post... SICK!
"The way your heart sounds
makes all the difference
It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel
The way your heart beats makes all the difference In Learning to Live
Here before me is my soul I'm Learning to Live"

Offline EDC

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
Thanks Kevin for hosting, this event was so much fun. The 5 min second round was a blast.  Congrats to Jeff, Donny, and Ron for their awards.  Flips events are so much, it's something I definitely look forward to most each month.
Pins : TRON LE, IM, AVATARLE, ACDC Pro, RBION, STERN PB, STTNG , TS, RG, RBG, W?D, MA, WW, Secret Service, ARENA, Fire! (#2)
For Sale : Arcade monitors, "Gold"eneye, Diner, RBG
Wanted: BBH, Robowar, EBD

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:41 AM »
Don't think he reads here . Better to email him your Thanks or next event . It was great  and thanks Jeff for Keeping everyone In the Know .

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
The first round involved playing 4-player games on 9 games. Teams of 4 were chosen at random.

On each game, Places 1 through 4 received that equivalent of points.  So the best score would be a 9, the worst would be a 36.

After round 1, the top 5 scores were

Jeff (top qualifier tie at 19)
Dan (top qualifier tie at 19)
Eric L. 20
Ron 20
Donny tie at 21
Joe R. tie at 21

There were 6 players competing for 5 spots, so Donny and Joe R. (Look at SG v 2.0 playing STRONG!) needed to battle it out on Orbitor 1.  Donny won and advanced.

Note: That is a pretty tight grouping and shows that the random pairing and game variety was about right.  No guaranteed winners in a group and with 9 games to play, one time only, no warm up, things can go any way the pinball gods want. Overall consistency was the key.  

(Personal side note: I can tell you that I was the perfect model for pigeon/statue.  I was basically 1 or 4.  I know for a fact my SS score is the worst score in the history of SS scores-and I own one of these games and have done very well on it. Just not this time. )

The Super Grover battle was between Nicky and Rich.  After the playoff, Rich emerged as the latest Super Grover version.  He received a trophy with some rusty balls and cool skulls in it.  I like skulls.

Interesting Note 2.  There was almost a 4-way Super Grover tie including Eric F. who has done well in previous tournaments.  NOBODY is safe from Super Grover. Further, it shows that the level of play is getting better all around for everyone.  More competition leads to better play.  I am impressed with all of the players FLiPS has.

On to semi finals:

There were 5 people battling for the final 4 slots.  The concept was novel. 5 minutes on 5 balls on 5 games.  You could only play for 5 minutes or until you exhausted the 5 balls.  Some games could be 5 minutes on 1 ball and then you drain when the time is called. Some games you were done before 5 minutes were up. After each 5-minute round you stop, track the score, move to the next game.  Continue until all games are done.

Scores were similar to the qualifying round. 1-5 for the equivalent placing, highest score (worst result) is out.

At the end of this round the ranking was:

Jeff       1
Donny       2
Dan       3
Ron/Eric tie    4

Eric had to leave, so Ron filled the 4th slot

The finals round was more traditional.  4 games, 3 balls, no extras.  Same concept of 1-4.

The 4 games were DM, PM, TOM, ST (Bally).

After the first 3 rounds, an interesting development occurred.  Jeff had won the first 3 games with a total of 3 points and Donny had placed second each time for a total of 6. So it was possible that if Jeff placed last and Donny won there would be a tie for 1st which would be a playoff on Oribitor 1.  I had already decided that if I had to play Oribitor one I would resign, because that game gives me a headache.

Donny put up a MONSTER score on ST, doing his part, but Jeff only had to not place last to avoid vertigo/aspirin-ville.  Jeff managed to get 2 place on ST and so the final results were :

Jeff      1 place
Donny   2 place
Ron      3 place
Dan      4 place

Prizes/plaques with color-coded Flippers were awarded. Very nice.

After the presentation/Thank-yous at around 9:30 pm (LOTS of playing for a tourney) There was some chat, some more playing and we ended up closing shop late in the evening.

Glad everyone came out, had fun, made it home safely (especially Donny).

See you all at the next FLiPS event.

Sincerely,

Jeff

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline Ron Donohue

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • My Gameroom
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
Great event.  Many thanks to Kevin and our lovely hostess for all their efforts on our behalf.  A very competitive format and a good time was had by all.

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Greywolf

• Show Organizer
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
    • Free Play Services
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
I absolutely had a blast! Great linup, great food, great conversation. Jeff definately keeps me on toes. I'm far from being consistant, but I've got my moments 

Thanks to Kevin for hosting an awesome event! Can't wait until next time 

The highlight was definately Jeff's little "mosh pit prance" around the livingroom for sticking the Toilet Shot on Austin Powers for the fourth time. This, of course, happened while the ball was still in play (breaking his own rule of taking his hands off the flippers until the ball is over). Wish I had that one for youtube 

Good times!
72 Pins, 43 Vids, 3 EM gun games, Coke Vendo 110, Rowe & Rockola jukeboxes, Erie Digger, and 1 novelty redemption piece.

Moving games throughout Florida for the collector community.

Free Play Florida

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
I absolutely had a blast! Great linup, great food, great conversation. Jeff definately keeps me on toes. I'm far from being consistant, but I've got my moments 

Thanks to Kevin for hosting an awesome event! Can't wait until next time 

The highlight was definately Jeff's little "mosh pit prance" around the livingroom for sticking the Toilet Shot on Austin Powers for the fourth time. This, of course, happened while the ball was still in play (breaking his own rule of taking his hands off the flippers until the ball is over). Wish I had that one for youtube 

Good times!

You gotta know the background reason why it even happened to really appreciate it, because you are right, I DO NOT TAKE MY HANDS OFF in the middle of a tourney game, let alone walk away while the ball is in play :)

While breaking my own arm here, anybody who scored fat bastard multiball personally has ME to thank for that happening.  I griped, moaned and basically threw a tantrum to Kevin for that change   Everyone else probably didn't even KNOW it was a problem. 

In fact that was what Kevin was saying at the end.  He and I spent a lot of time trying to get the games in as reliable condition as possible based on our time constraints etc.  We couldn't resolve everything in time, but we tried. We wanted the FLiPS tourney to be fair and fun for all.

It is hard work getting every game ready to go for a tourney.   Even having every switch/solenoid working is not always enough.  How the game plays/setup/tilt bobs/slope etc and feels is important and are little details that most don't see or they take for granted.

So yeah,  AP got fixed to work how I thought it should play, and so, I did a mosh pit dance  :)