Author Topic: For those wondering “Is FLiPS still a thing?”  (Read 976 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
For those wondering “Is FLiPS still a thing?”
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »
I’ve been getting asked frequently what is going on with FLiPS? Is it still a thing?

In short: Yes. Absolutely. 

The longer answer is a product of the growth and development of any successful club.

When FLiPS started out, there was a small group of dedicated pinball collectors and players in the South Florida tri county area.  We wanted to get together and share our games, talk pinball and have some friendly competition. 

We did that.  We are still doing that. We are going to keep doing it.

People saw that FLiPS was hosting get togethers and tourneys every single month for years on end.  They wanted in. 

As time went on, more guests and friends of friends were showing up and wanting to come. However there was no equivalent growth of hosts to accommodate the level of interest and excitement. 

Granted, some new people were buying games and wanting to host and share their games. Some are still on board.  Some were one and done hosts and moved on. That’s fine.  Nobody was ever on the hook for a long term hosting contract.

Basically, more people were finding new places all around they could go and play pinball and have a party.

And in some cases that’s what resonated with many people-“Wow, I have places to play great pinball machines and eat some delicious food and socialize once a month without me having to do anything.”

Of course that does not apply to everyone, and probably not you, faithful reader, but there is no question that attitude existed with some.

It is apparent that the frequency of FLiPS events has dropped off, which is why some people might ask “is FLiPS still a thing?”

FLiPS is more than having places for people to show up and play pinball and eat food every single month.

It is about developing pinball friendships. It is about helping other clubs grow. It is about expanding tournament awareness in our state. There will always be people hosting, it just might not be every month.

And I’ve said it before and it bears repeating. I appreciate each and every person who has hosted a FLiPS event and/or helped out. Whether FLiPS has an event once a month or once a year, the FLiPS hosts who open their doors deserve a lot of credit and thanks. 

Let me close by saying consider this:

Think of your pinball friends and who you have met over the years at FLiPS events. Take a close look around the state at any tournament or any show and see who brings games, who participates, who is wearing FLiPS shirts. Think of those gracious people still hosting FLiPS events and tourneys year after year. 

Is FLiPS still a thing?

Have the answer yet?

-Jeff
pinballcorpse

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline k7

Re: For those wondering “Is FLiPS still a thing?”
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
fLiPs is a good thing. :) to those who manage it, a big thank you.

and i am very happy for the people who i've met thru this now-ridiculously overpriced hobby. :)

i'm kind of stuck to this tri-county zone of the state, but the events are always fun. especially when i can convince jake and possibly even sherri to attend.

monthly is not a necessary thing, by any means. there's always something going on somewhere close.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline Cigboat

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »
Hey Jeff.... Have i earned a t-shirt yet??   :D

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
Hey Jeff.... Have i earned a t-shirt yet??   :D

I have some SLAYER style shirts left. Tell me your size and I’ll hook you up :)
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend