Author Topic: Pinball Machine buzzing Sound when Powered On  (Read 1162 times)

Offline wackenhut

• Level 3: Hologram
Re: Pinball Machine buzzing Sound when Powered On
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »
So I actually figured out what was making the buzzing noise on the transformer and have posted a picture below.  In the back, there is some sort of flat film above the white plastic in the center.  I gently applied ever so slight pressure to the film and the buzzing went away.

My only question now is if my solution is okay as I am not sure what the purpose is of the straplike film.  I cut two pieces of electrical tape (indicated by the blue markings) and taped it as shown on both sides.  One end to the piece of film and the other end to the top of the box.

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Offline wackenhut

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »
Hard to make out much from your photo as it is a bit dark.

However, I looked at my Stern games and I did not have the same "flap" yours has. Might be ether:
- My games are newer and the transformer is slightly different.
- They get their transformers from multiple suppliers and they are slightly different.
- The "flap" has migrated out of position.

So the first thing I would do is see if it feels loose, try and slide it back into the transformer. If that does not work then I would epoxy it down. I work in a motor shop and we use many of the same materials that transformers use (silicone steel, magnet wire, mica tapes, dip resins/epoxy) we use epoxy on the windings all the time so there should not be any real concern about compatibility issues (the epoxy attacking any of the materials).

Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME